[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
A question about copyright : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

A question about copyright

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
jpcp
Private E-1

A question about copyright

Postby jpcp » Tue May 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi,

I would like your opinion about quoting from a movie on a dialog in a novel. Imagine two characters of the novel that really like science fiction movies and occasionally when they speak to each other they repeat some lines from known movies or they make some remarks that can be understood to be related to those movies. I give a few examples:

' How was your weekend?'
' Great. I saw things you people wouldn't believe'

This is related to a monolog from the movie Blade Runner with a slight change and, of course, in a different context. The original is 'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe'.

What if in the dialog above it is exactly the same as the movie? Does it make a difference? For example

' Do you have a lot of experience in this??'
' Oh yes. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.'

Another example is:

' How was your weekend?'
' An emotional rollercoaster. I shouldn't have taken the red pill.'

In this example, I am thinking about the scene in The Matrix where Neo has to choose to take either a red pill or a blue pill. The dialog above doesn't appear in the movie but everybody that saw it will immediately make a connection between this example and The Matrix.

Do I have to worry about copyright issues with these examples I provide here?. My intuition is that it is harmless. I am not copying anything but legal issues have nothing to do with intuition :)

Thanks in advance.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: A question about copyright

Postby ostarella » Tue May 23, 2017 6:36 pm

The first two are so common that no one would realize they came from any movie. The second one is merely a reference to something in a movie. So no, there's nothing there to worry about.

For future reference:
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

jpcp
Private E-1

Postby jpcp » Thu May 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks ostarella

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 pm

I see the website I posted for the "future reference" isn't there now, but if you go to copyright dot gov, there's tons of information there. :)

Edit: Well, now I don't know if the URL is there or not because I'm seeing other posts on the forum that don't seem to have anything in them at all, so may be just the stupid tech problems being stupid again. :(
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am

stupid tech problems is an oxymoron

today i had to sign in using the back doors as the normal method failed

KLark
Private E-1

Postby KLark » Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 am

I think you should look up "references to pop-culture" in the Copyright laws. I believe it is called "sampling" and I do not think a novelist can write about a period, or culture without dropping a few "real life" things. The characters do not live in a bubble, they should know all (or most) of the songs, movies, and behaviors of their time and culture, so I feel that you cannot ignore what is going on in the minds of your characters. That would not be authentic.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun May 28, 2017 10:41 am

no such thing in the copyright law

closest is fair use
and courts don't always agree on what is fair or not

jpcp
Private E-1

Postby jpcp » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I will take a closer look at the copyright laws although this seems pretty harmless to me.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Wed May 31, 2017 6:32 pm

[quote="jpcp"]Thank you all for your comments. I will take a closer look at the copyright laws although this seems pretty harmless to me.[/quote]
===========

You should aways check with an IP attorney if you have any questions or doubts.
There are some with sites that will give you a lot of common answers to such frequent questions to guide you.

Definitely read all the information at the copyright office website and what the LOC has on their site.
And also google sites for info on fair use.

Copyright Links to below are here:
https://www.marcaria.com/ws/en/articles/trademark-and-other-intellectual-property-resource-guide

A copyright is best thought of as a group of exclusive rights that are given to the creator of an original work. This includes the adaption of the work, the distribution of the work, and the copying of the work. It is important to realize that a copyright does not protect ideas, but only their expression.

Owners of copyrights possess exclusive rights to copying and other exploitations of their work, but only for a specific period of time, after which the copyright expires, bringing the work into the public domain.

In the beginning, copyright law only applied to books, but this soon extended to derivative works and other translations. Today, copyright applies to a big range of works like sheet music, maps, paintings, dramatic works, sound recordings, photographs, computer programs, and motion pictures.

FAQs on Copyright: Familiarize visitors with the concepts of copyrights by answering commonly asked questions.
Questions concerning Copyright: Government website attempts to clarify what a copyright is by addressing common questions about it.

What is a Copyright?: Definition of copyright from a page that offers information on intellectual property rights issues.
Stanford Copyright Resource Website: Stanford’s website that is devoted to informing people on issues that involved copyright and fair use.

Quick Lesson in Copyright: A quick lesson on what a copyright is, from a University of Texas.

University of Maryland Copyright Website: Discusses copyrights in the context of the classroom and also the Internet.

Copyright Resource Page: Features many links to websites about copyright issues.

Explanation of Copyright: From the Williams College Libraries comes a definition for what constitutes a copyright, which is found in Title 17, US Code.

Test on Copyright: A quick quiz on questions related to copyright issues that test the knowledge of visitors regarding copyright issues.

Copyright and the Internet: A look at the relationship between copyright and the Internet, now that the Internet is such a broad medium.

Return to Introductions