New member introducing herself

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

Terra
Private E-1

New member introducing herself

Postby Terra » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi everyone!

I am brand new to the community and very excited to become involved.

Before you have a chance to ask yourself, "Who is she and what's she about?" I'll tell you. :)

I'm in the process of writing a series for children's chapter books. I have written two so far and two chapters of the third.

I have loved to write since I was a child and learned how. I won some writing contests in school, had a short story published in Children's Digest when I was 10 years old and got paid three whole dollars for it. :D

The very first thing I ever said I wanted to be when I grow up was an author. And then life happened. Although I never quit writing, I never sought to become an author. But now that my life has quieted down, I'm attempting.

I would love access to the forum. I am working on my query letter and would like some advice.

Thank you for your consideration.

Terra

wdarcy
Major

Re: New member introducing herself

Postby wdarcy » Mon May 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi, Terra

Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of great people here and a lot of good advice--you just have to ask.

If you haven't already done so, post your query letter in the appropriate place, and I'm sure you'll receive some good suggestions.

Happy writing!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Terra
Private E-1

Postby Terra » Mon May 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Thank you so much Warren for the warm welcome.

I did post it in the Query Letter Clinic. Was that the appropriate place?

Thank you so much,
Terra

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Mon May 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes, Terra, that's exactly where you should have posted it. I hope you receive some helpful critiques!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Terra
Private E-1

Postby Terra » Mon May 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks. I hope so to. I'm really rather new to all of this. Not writing, but in seeking to become published. :)

Terra

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Yes, the whole business of seeking representation from an agent can be pretty overwhelming at first. I read your query, and it's extremely well written. I hesitate to critique it myself because I don't read or write children's books, so I don't think I'd be much help. Hopefully you will receive advice from someone who is knowledgeable about your genre.

Remember to end with a short paragraph mentioning what material you are sending (whatever the agent's web site requests), asking if she would be interested in a partial or full manuscript of your book, and above all thanking her for considering your query.

By the way, do you know about QueryTracker? It's great for finding appropriate agents and tracking your submissions. It's also free unless you subscribe to their premium service, which I would recommend.

Good luck, Terra. By the way, I think setting your story in the 60's is a great hook. No cell phones, no laptops, no social media. Sometimes I wish we could go back . . .

--Warren

Terra
Private E-1

Postby Terra » Mon May 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Thank you so much for the compliment Warren.

I most certainly won't forget to thank them for their consideration and include exactly what they asked for per their request from their query guidelines. I have been studying up on that part as well as researching agents that are currently seeking books in my category and genre.

I just don't want to take the plunge until I have some idea if my (I'll call it the meat of my query) is somewhere in the ballpark.

The 60's, ah yes. More free time for little Jenna to explore, think, play, and discover, and explore some more.

Ha! Going back. It reminds me of the song, "Those Were The Days". :mrgreen:

Terra

Return to Introductions