[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
poetry & kids writing : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

poetry & kids writing

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

violett
Private E-1

poetry & kids writing

Postby violett » Tue May 23, 2006 4:27 am

violett
Private E-1

poetry & kids writing

Postby violett » Tue May 23, 2006 4:27 am

Hi! I'd like to correspond with anyone who writes for children. My Sunday School curriculum and puppet books for church teachers have been published, and I'm trying to learn where and how to submit children's books. I'd appreciate any advice and/or tips. I really don't know where to begin. Shoud I look for an agent?

I also write poetry and wonder if there is anyplace to submit without a reading fee? It is worth a reading fee, however, it gets quite expensive if you submit very many poems.

Looking forward to hearing from you and exchanging information.

yudelka
Captain

RE: poetry & kids writing

Postby yudelka » Tue May 23, 2006 5:05 am

Hell and welcome, Violet!
Good to have you here.

I write children's books, nothing published yet. My hubby and got involved in children's church again, and he's trying to get a handle on the puppet disaster they have going on.

According to my extensive research, it is better for an unpublished author to try to get a publishing company first, as opposed to finding an agent. That's what I'm doing now.

The detailed steps to getting published our as follows, from my understanding:

1. Write the manuscript.
2. Polish the manuscript (ms).
3. Write a query and cover letters.**
4. Polish query and cover letters.
5. Find competent targets (publishing companies that publish your type of book).
6. Call and make sure you have the proper editor's name and submission guidelines.
7. Print manuscript (wonderful manuscript format source in Writer's Market).
8. Buy big yellow envelopes (never fold a manuscript) and stamps--LOTS of stamps.
9. Prepare for take-off.

*Query letter is one you send WITHOUT the ms as some companies require. You give them a very brief synopsis of your work. You're basically asking them to ask you to send it.

*Cover letter is one you send WITH your ms, briefly introducing what you're sending along.

Writers's Market (I'm sure you've seen the link in Writer's Digest home page) is a wonderful source for all this stuff.

Okay, if I think of anything else, I'll come back here. Feel free to post questions/thoughts/concerns/facts/fiction/ in our Writer's Block Party.

Welcome and I hope you stick around awhile.

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Tue May 23, 2006 5:07 am

Oh yes, you always have to send self-addressed stamped envelopes. Publishing companies and agents don't want to spend a physical dime on you, only a few minutes of their time.

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Tue May 23, 2006 8:14 am

Welcome Violett. Happy to have you join our rapidly growing family where no one is a stranger.

Sorry I can't help you with the children's book/poetry stuff. It has been recommended that I don't try to write for children. Guess I'm not mature enough.

Jack

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Tue May 23, 2006 8:34 am

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue May 23, 2006 8:39 am

Welcome Violet! I can't help either...but I can still say hello! *waves wildly* I'm not mature enough to write for children either...
But still, welcome, and post on Crit Central if you feel brave. We don't bite. *laughs to other members*
Godspeed,
Lynne

PaigeVonLiber
Lieutenant

Postby PaigeVonLiber » Wed May 24, 2006 9:03 am

Hi.
Glad ya could make it. Looks like another one, me, has no advise for ya. But I'm sure if you shop, I mean look around, you will find the answers you are looking for. And yes way more questions then you have breath for. But hang in here & it, they, will come to light, if nothing else you may have a few laughs at others expense.

Writingchick24
Private E-1

Postby Writingchick24 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:31 pm

Welcome Violet!!

Since I am still a teen I find it easy to write for others in my age group though I have tried to write for the younger age groups but I just can't pull it off...unless it's a story about horses *that my pre-teen obsession I'll have forever!!* LOL

But I do actually have some advice for you if you want to find ways into the Children's Literature market. YOu might check out www.institutechildrenslit.com they have great information articles, a writing forum, and a chat room. They are mainly a long distance school overing courses for Aspiring Chilrens writers who pass their aptitude test. **fore waring the programs can be costly but if your serious and have the way to come up with the money it is well worth it**

But you don't have to be a student to access their site or forums!

The best of luck and let me know if this information was of any help :)

Destiny

Mirth
Lieutenant

Postby Mirth » Tue May 30, 2006 4:23 am

Hi, Violett, welcome.  I don't write children's stories, but I'm still a big kid  and I do enjoy puppets (have an alligator hand puppet that serves as a oven mitt...lots of fun in the kitchen) and I love reading imaginative works.

When you're ready, post a little for all of us to enjoy!

Take care,

Mirth

Next

Return to Introductions