writers block HELP!!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

summerspirit

writers block HELP!!

Postby summerspirit » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:42 pm

summerspirit

writers block HELP!!

Postby summerspirit » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:42 pm

why is it i start to write and go for weeks doing great progress,.then i just go blank,.staring at the screen as if the electricity in my head was shut off from non payment,.and im stunned, because i swore i paid the bill. i have at least 6 novels started,.all half way done,.the whole story in my head,.and yet here i am saying HELP! someone turn on my head!! LOL ohhh that sounded wrong eh?! and believe me i tried everything, i heard a writer once say,."stay in front of your computer until you write" trust me when i say thats really not a good idea,.you can be there a very very very long time, an even with the best office chair,.your in trouble. Thanks for any crazy ideas,.see your book next to mine someday!! :)

entropy_happens

RE: writers block HELP!!

Postby entropy_happens » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:50 pm

We've ALL been there. What inspires me sometimes is to go back and read what I've written before, so I can think one of two things: "Wow! I wrote that?" or "Eww! I wrote that?" :) Also, you can try going to the Writing Prompts here on this forum and get your juice flowing. There's a book that my sister (goobiesonvenus) bought me for Christmas called The Writer's Book of Matches by the staff of Fresh Boiled Peanuts, a literary journal, and it has a whole load of prompts.
I hope this helps, and by the way, welcome to the forum! I hope to "hear" from you in Critique Central when you get going again! :)
Godspeed,
Lynne

Mirth
Lieutenant

Postby Mirth » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Hi, summerspirit, welcome.  Writer's block can be a nasty hurdle to get over at times.  I usually get it when there is so much else going on in my life that I can't focus on just one thing, and nothing seems to come out right.  Best thing I can suggest is to take a week off from writing anything.  Go shopping, have fun with family and friends, or do whatever else you find enjoyable.  Sooner or later, your writing will beckon you...either seductively or angrily.  You'll find your way back to your "baby" when the time is right.

Good luck,

Mirth

myfair_98
Private E-1

Postby myfair_98 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:03 am

Hi summerspirit! Welcome - I'm a newbie here as well. I've never really experienced writer's block mainly because I've never stuck with it long enough. I always get sidetracked or life gets in the way of my creativity. I would love to get writer's block, actually! Maybe I will in the near future. Oh well - enough about me!

When I get back to my writing after a long [sometimes very long - yrs even] break - I reread what I've already got and usually edit as I go and when I get to the end I just keep writing. Until life pulls me away again. But that's all in the past. I'm devoted now! Anyway, good to have you with us.

Although I am new, I do already know to stay away from Karen's coffee!
Terri

Return to Introductions