[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Typing Service : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Typing Service

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
BT8685
Private E-1

Typing Service

Postby BT8685 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:29 am

BT8685
Private E-1

Typing Service

Postby BT8685 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:29 am

Hello all and first I would like to wish good luck to all of you in your writing careers. I have always loved to write, but definitely dont have what it takes to publish anything, so I will stick to the reading part! I would also like to introduce my new business "After Hours Typing Service". I am trying to gear my services toward writers so thought I would introduce myself on some writers forums. I do realize that most writers nowadays probably write their books mostly on the computer but I am sure that there are still a few that write out their manuscripts by hand. It is to them that I would like to offer my typing services. All original works will be returned to the author along with the finished product on disk and everything is confidential. Please check out my website if you are interested or email me with any questions. Thank you for your time.

loudermilk
Major

RE: Typing Service

Postby loudermilk » Mon May 29, 2006 7:01 pm

I gave at the office. Welcome anyway.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue May 30, 2006 3:33 am

I was thinking how cool it would be to walk around my living room spouting brilliant prose.  I envision my typist bent over a manual typewriter in the small, dark corner of my room, feverishly typing.  He only stops long enough to fling the return carriage on the typewriter before banging on the keys once again.

I picture the typist nodding his head in agreement, looking up at me, his eyes filled with admiration for my brilliance. 

And then when I take a break, I spy my typist surreptitiously dialing his cell phone. 

I move silently into the hall, straining to hear his whispered words.

"George?" I hear him say.  "I've finally found my inspiration for my next blockbuster novel.  I'll have the synopsis to you in a couple of weeks..."

Some time later, while I am vacationing in the Bahamas, a posse of volunteer Minutemen find the badly decomposed body of a man in a remote location in Southern New Mexico.  At first they assume it's yet another guest worker who has perished on his way to cross the border. 

But then they discover an old, antique typewriter near his body.

The newspapers report that one of the world's most brilliant novelists has died while doing research on his latest novel.

My agent calls me at the resort to break the news.

"So sad," I say.  And I take another sip of my tea, adjust my sunglasses, and dose in the tropical sun.

Good luck with your typing business, but I don't think you want to work for me.  I'm writing a murder mystery novel, and as you see I have a hard time keeping fantasy and reality sorted out.  It could get messy...

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Tue May 30, 2006 3:41 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue May 30, 2006 3:48 am

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Tue May 30, 2006 3:52 am

Mirth
Lieutenant

Postby Mirth » Tue May 30, 2006 4:00 am

Hi, BT8685, I wish you much success with your typing service and hope you have a steady stream of clients.

I would like to offer a small suggestion, however, for a more dynamic name for your service.  As it reads now "After Hours Typing Service", it puts me in the mind of someone using a typewriter (and that seemed to show up in some of the other posts as well).  And it also seems that your typing is a part-time effort.  If that's true, you shouldn't "tell" prospective customers that you are only available after hours.

A couple of suggestions for indicating that your service is computerized would be Computerized Typing Service or, perhaps, Blazing Keyboard Typing Service. 

Do you plan to do other typing jobs such as Resumes, proposals, etc.?  If not, and you're only interested in manuscript typing, you might consider stating such.  Manuscript Transcription Service or Professional Manuscript Transcription.

Good luck in your endeavors, and thank you for your kind words.

Return to Introductions