Hello from Hamburg!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

texttussi

Hello from Hamburg!

Postby texttussi » Mon May 29, 2006 1:17 am

texttussi

Hello from Hamburg!

Postby texttussi » Mon May 29, 2006 1:17 am

Hi, I am a freelance copy writer from Hamburg, Germany. I am writing advertisements for banks and brokers and also how-to-articles on time management, marketing and goal setting (and achievement) that are directed to self-employed people and entrepreneurs.

I am very happy that I can earn money with writing. I have written all my life, and started to earn money with it while studying. But copy writing is not what I am passionate about. I would love to write a novel though I am not sure yet which genre to choose. There are so many ideas in my head that I don't know where to start. ;) Some day I will have to pick one and go for it. Meanwhile I am practicing my writing.

I have written poems and short stories so far and am somehow at a loss how to start on a novel. Although I would say that I am pretty creative I also need structure and think I need a plan before beginning. (Let's face it - I am a control freak :) ) So I am simply standing in my own way I think.

I hope that by participating in this forum I will get drive and inspiration and just go for it!
Julia
PS Is anyone else here writing in German?

jmar2
Major General

RE: Hello from Hamburg!

Postby jmar2 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:50 am

Welcome Julia.
Drop down to the critique section and show us a bit.  If you are a control freak, maybe you are the type of writer that needs to make an outline before starting their novel.  Somewhere here is a thread on that subject, some of us do use outlines and some don't.  Seems like outlining would allow you better control over your creativity.

Best of luck,

John

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon May 29, 2006 2:18 pm

Welcome Julia! I use an outline before I write novels. It helps me stay focused. Considering I grew up in a household where I was the only one who didn't suffer from A.D.D., I need that ;).
Also, I have to say that I don't think you really need to choose a genre. It'll come as the idea develops. Don't force an idea into a genre. :)
Okay, enough yakking...
Godspeed,
Lynne

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Mon May 29, 2006 6:55 pm

Ve getz (spelling?) Julia. You have stumbled into the right place.

Jack

texttussi

Postby texttussi » Mon May 29, 2006 8:55 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

John, thanks for the hint about outlines. I have read the tread now and am going to dig out one or two books where outlines are discussed. I know I have them somewhere in the bookshelf. As for posting my writing in the critque section: That's unfortunately impossible because I write in German. (That's why I hoped to find other German writers here.)

Lynne, thanks for your tip. The ideas I have simply fall into different genres thats why I feel I have to decide. But I made up my mind to start on an outline for every idea and than see where that takes me. Probably I will simply want to go on with one idea that grips my imagination most.

Jack, danke, mir geht's gut. :) I have read some threads and also feel I am in the right place. I am looking forward to discovering more!

Julia

Mirth
Lieutenant

Postby Mirth » Tue May 30, 2006 4:11 am

Hi, Julia, welcome.  I'm still rather new here but have learned much and find it a fun and friendly environment.

One of my dearest friends is from Weisbaden.  We were roommates for several years (way back when).  The only German I can speak is the bad words.  haha  Why is it that those are the easiest to pick up and remember in any language?

Good luck on getting a novel started.  I didn't do an outline, but every time I got an idea that would work well in a story, I jotted it down.  Let me tell you that, over time, I had hundreds of little scraps of paper with my "brains" on them.  Then one day I sat down and put them in a sequential semblance of order and the novel just took off on its own after that.

rpkpol
Private E-1

Postby rpkpol » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:35 pm

Hey, Mirth,

I wonder if I should do that with my dreams? I have really vivid, wild dreams, and often I wake up and hurry and write them down. Maybe I should see about combining them somehow.

polly

Mirth
Lieutenant

Postby Mirth » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:10 pm

Oh, yes, polly, write them down then sort through them and see what you come up with.  Vivid dreaming is awsome and I know you will have some great fodder through those dreams.  I recently started taking Singulair (allergy/asthma) and began having vivid dreams that are out of this world...not scary...just intense and alive with action.  My doctor says, "No harm.  Enjoy it."  He said people who dream vividly generally report loving the experience.  He said he'd like to try it. 

I do keep a pad and pen on my nightstand.  Some of my greatest inspiration has come in that "twilight zone" between sleep and awakening.

And, I'm a huge note writer, and confess to even jotting inspirations during church services.  Holy cow, one night the guy sitting in front of me was wearing a pullover where the name brand label was sewn on the outside...it said "point zero."  That that gave me a wild rush of inspiration as there was a perfect spot in my novel for the term "point zero" (not having anything to do with a pullover). 

Notes are good! 

Return to Introductions