Help-- I have haptodysphoria!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Bob Loblaw

Postby Bob Loblaw » Sat May 27, 2006 11:15 am

Bob Loblaw

Postby Bob Loblaw » Sat May 27, 2006 11:15 am

No. I lied. But since you're here, let me introduce myself:

Hi. I'm a new writer here. I guess you can say I'm a transfer from another forum since I turned 18 and I shouldn't be there. I also wanted to get away from the younger writers and mature my writing-- take it to the next level. My goal is to get published-- for real this time, not in a small school literary magazine or a book that no one reads (or wants to read-- trust me, it has some horrible essays in there).

Anyway, if you excuse the word, my name is Bob Loblaw. Nice to meet you. :)

Epic
Lieutenant Colonel

RE: Help-- I have haptodysphoria!

Postby Epic » Sat May 27, 2006 11:43 am

I was about to welcome you by saying, hey, I, too, am a sufferer of haptodysphoria, bla, bla; but decided I'd better google first to find out if it was real malady.  Well, it turns out it is real and I do suffer from it: drinking from the commonly used metal dipper (to refrain would insult) from a pail of well water at my aunt and uncle's decades ago.  Eek.  Putting a metal cup to my lips takes me back. 

You sound like you're going to be a fun, interesting guy.  Welcome.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon May 29, 2006 2:14 pm

Welcome...and what the heck is haptodysphoria? :o
Anyway...welcome to the psychotic insane asylum--cough, cough--I mean forum. Disregard that last part.
Godspeed,
Lynne

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Mon May 29, 2006 7:00 pm

I prefer to drink straight from the tap (beer tap) but hello anyway.

smiley10000

Postby smiley10000 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:20 pm

I'm confused...

"n. - unpleasant sensation felt by some people when touching peaches, cotton, or similar surfaces"
Seems to be the definition I get from google...
Epic, am I missing something????

BTW, I really DO suffer from haptodysphoria *shudder*. I hate peach skin...

Epic
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Epic » Tue May 30, 2006 1:18 am

[QUOTE]smiley10000 - 2006-05-30 12:20 AM I'm confused... "n. - unpleasant sensation felt by some people when touching peaches, cotton, or similar surfaces" Seems to be the definition I get from google... Epic, am I missing something???? BTW, I really DO suffer from haptodysphoria *shudder*. I hate peach skin...[/QUOTE]

Another definition said "shivery, unpleasant feeling", so I went with that.  Touching wool (perhaps wet) has been mentioned as creeping some people out.  My aunt and uncle had a sheep ranch, so I got up-close to wool early.  I witnessed a few shearings, but, the lambs were the main attraction, of course, especially when I'd get to help bottle-feed one.  I also must say:  nothing's better than biting into a hill country peach, mmm, mmm, all that pinkish-golden goodness.  Fredricksberg peaches would start juicing down your arm before the skin of the peach even touched your mouth. 

Mirth
Lieutenant

Postby Mirth » Tue May 30, 2006 4:18 am

Welcome, Bob, are you from England?  I ask this after reading another of your posts on the critique board.  One of my close writer friends is from England, and he writes with much the same "out of the box" thinking and cleverness as you did in your post.

haptodysphoria

An unpleasant sensation derived from touching certain objects.  (from a medical site)

Oh, yeah, there are a few that go beyond unpleasant! 

(don't know why that "bold" won't turn off above the big dictionary entry...oh well  My cut & past also gave links to sensation and objects.  tee hee).

PaigeVonLiber
Lieutenant

Postby PaigeVonLiber » Tue May 30, 2006 8:28 am

yeh ereth boB... (hold it up to a mirror; I sometimes crack me up) Hey there Bob. Sorry on a sugar high right now. Glad you are here.
I was wonderin' does it have to be an object that I don't like touchin'? Couldn't it be something else, like a foot or a leg?
Any who glad you are here. Oh there I go repeatin' again.

smiley10000

Postby smiley10000 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:11 am

I'll have whatever Paige is having....

Next

Return to Introductions