[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
hello from Interstate USA! : Introductions • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

hello from Interstate USA!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
riverstone
Colonel

RE: hello from Interstate USA!

Postby riverstone » Wed May 24, 2006 1:53 pm

Hey, Silvercrow!

Hope that dinner went down smooth in the big D.

Favorite CB dialogue today: (traffic jam on 610)

grumble, as usual.

Traffic starts moving again. Suddenly, a silky smooth Southern drawl says:

"Well, I don't know what yall were doing, but I'm pretty sure I'll be holding a newborn in nine months."
Deep bass answers, "Did I leave my wallet?"
"Was it brown, with $200, six credit cards and a Sam's Club Membership Card?"
"Yeah, Yeah."
"With an embossed eagle, holding a six pack in each claw and says ''I'm an American Redneck' on the front?"
"Yeah, that's mine."
"Nope, haven't seen it."
"Oh, never mind, I've got it right here."
"But sugar, you DID leave your black Stetson."
"Well, baby, just give it to my son for me."
"Will do Sugar, thanks for the memories!"

Usual banter, everyone tries to get her to talk to them, but she went silent!

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu May 25, 2006 7:31 am

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Fri May 26, 2006 4:41 am

Bigsip, sounds very cool.

Good luck with the agent. I'm reworking some scenes right now so I can post on the critique board, just to get some feedback. It's totally against everything in me to rework something before it's in first draft form, but I feel like a hypocrite to comment on other work if I'm not willing to put myself out there, too.

I only have a few stories about my grandma. She was also born in "Indian country", but I can't find any records of her maiden name. My Aunt lost the family Bible in a fire. So all I have are some stories. But one thing that I think is interesting is about a key she always wore around her neck on a string. None of her children ever saw inside the box that the key unlocked. When she passed away, the day before the funeral, we all gathered and opened the box together. My Dad and his brothers and sisters were just dying to know what was in that box, because she was so very, very secretive about it. Inside was a paper for an allotment she received from the government, a pine cone, an eagle feather, a crystal, and a small pouch of tobacco. They decided to bury the box with her since it was obviously very important to her. Unfortunately, that allotment paper would have allowed us to trace her, without it, it's really proving difficult. She married my Grandfather when she was only fourteen, so there isn't much to go on. I do know that her mother died in Indian territory, and her father took her to Kentucky in a covered wagon. His next wife died in childbirth, he kind lost it and took off, leaving my fourteen year old grandmother with four brothers and sisters to raise. So she married an older man, raised his four children, her brothers and sisters, and then four of her own. WHAT A WOMAN, HUH?

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri May 26, 2006 6:11 am

Holy cow! That has the makings of an amazing novel! I'm totally hooked on the idea already...

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Fri May 26, 2006 2:45 pm

Bigsip,
Interesting, I never thought about it as a novel. But when I look at it as an outsider, it does sound interesting...hmmm! I could really do something with that, couldn't I? It's funny, they say you should write what you know, and you think your own life is boring, and then someone comes along and shows you that what is an old story to you is new to someone esle. Thanks for the life lesson!

Previous

Return to Introductions