[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
hello from Interstate USA! : Introductions • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

hello from Interstate USA!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

riverstone
Colonel

RE: hello from Interstate USA!

Postby riverstone » Tue May 23, 2006 4:18 pm

loudermilk,

We're sitting near Huntsville, Tx tonight. Heading to Houston tomorrow, Louisiania next day. Saw a great signature on a cattle hauler today. (WARNING NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT FOR MEMEBERS OF PETA) He called his rig "The Last Ride". Awful, but you had to laugh in spite of yourself. Or at least, I did.

Saw on your profile you like to hike. Would love to hike the AP trial someday. Have you gotten to hike on any of it?

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue May 23, 2006 4:25 pm

SilverCrow
Corporal

Postby SilverCrow » Tue May 23, 2006 5:01 pm

Break Break! Nice ta meetcha! Truckin in TX. Im on the way to Big D tomorrow night! Plan on stoppin at the Tiger truckstop in Grosse Tete (go ahead laugh. I do every time I hear it) fer some red beans and cornbread and Gator tail sausage! UMM Umm yummy!

Tell the ol man to keep the dirty side down adn if ya see a Boyle's furniture hauler westbound tomorrow or the next day holler for Silverback! BACkout!

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Wed May 24, 2006 3:58 am

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Wed May 24, 2006 5:06 am

Hey, Silvercrow!  Thanks for the shout.  Sounds like you're all set for a great meal.  My better half plans his trips around the T/S dining, too! We took a class in money mgmt., and they actually suggested stopping where the fuel prices are the best, can you imagine?  We're in a Prime freightliner--yeah, I know, Missouri Educated!  My handle is Rowdy Redhead, and driver is U Turn.  Hope to catch you on the flip side.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed May 24, 2006 5:09 am

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Wed May 24, 2006 5:16 am

Loudermilk, What an awesome place to grow up.  I was raised in Ohio in a city with a yard about the size of a card table.  My folks were transplanted hillbillys from WVA and KY, took Rt. 30 to jobs in the rust belt.  I grew up hearing about life in the country, and all I could see around me was concrete.  Left that town at 19 and never looked back.  Now I figure if you can see your neighbor, it's too croweded.  BTW, I really do know how to spell trail, but obviously don't know how to type!

I would love to hike the whole thing someday, but am hoping to make a stab at it next Spring.  I couldn't take 7 months to try and complete it at once, so will attempt it in stages.

Yeah, we're in a sleeper.  I didn't get my CDL because if both of you drive, you end up running 24/7.  One sleeps, one drives.  Kids are gone, and U Turn and I actually love spending time together, so it would defeat the whole purpose of being on the rig with him.  I'm the navagater and paperwork guru.  This gives me time to write and we get to feel almost like paid tourists because we're not running that hard, although U Turn has put 81,695 miles on the new rig since Thanksgiving.

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Wed May 24, 2006 10:45 am

Loudermilk,

Yeah, I have some family stories to weave into my plot, too. But I think what I find interesting about it is the difference between viseral reactions to displacement between Irish and Native Americans. And then, to top it off, everyone was heading west to make their fortunes in the gold rush.

The central theme is about trying to move a village intact. What you lose, what you keep. How it feels to not look up and see the familiar mountains, or be able to walk by the bones of your ancesters. How different people and tribes deal with pain and poverty. What is individual and what is tribal or clannish, etc.

Are you enrolled in the Nation? I don't know why it's important to me, but I just seem to feel that I owe it to my grandmother to be proud of my heritage. My blood is thinned, for sure, but I find the Cherokee pull is my strongest pull...isn't that weird? I always knew I was different from the other sibling, and from my parents. The more I've looked into the whole Cherokee belief system and way of dealing with the world, the more I have learned to live in my own skin. The genes just intensified in my dna, I guess.

Can't wait to read your book when it becomes a best seller!

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Wed May 24, 2006 11:06 am

I'm sure it won't take Josh very long to figure that your last post was intended for him. He's fairly smart.

But since you teased me in... My maternal grandmother was born on a Cherokee reservation. As for my maternal grandfather, we're still trying to figure out where his roots went. Both are dead now and, unfortunately, the only thing I remember from her stories is that of one of her uncles. Seems that every time he got drunk, he wanted to kill a white man.

My grandfather's last name was Parker (Polk was his first name) and some of the family claim he was a decendant of Kuawana Parker. His grandfather, my great grandfather, was named "Pink" Parker. We don't know much about him. His grave marker was found only about 12 years ago. Family had a rough idea of where he was buried but the actual spot was difficult to find. My mother's youngest sister finally found a family bible where someone had written the directions to his final resting place. We took up a collection and bought him a real headstone.

Oh well, guess I better get on to the house. I'll type at you later.

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Wed May 24, 2006 11:12 am

Bigsip,

yep, that posting was for you, but Loudermilk, I'm glad I teased you in, too! I guess I should begin to edit my posts. Sometimes my head runs away with my fingers!

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions