[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
hello from Interstate USA! : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

hello from Interstate USA!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Mon May 22, 2006 6:27 am

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Mon May 22, 2006 6:27 am

Just wanted to say a quick hello. My hubby is an over the road driver, and I am his navagater. (That's why his handle is U Turn!) I'm writing my novel as he goes down the highway.and I got this awesome new "air card" that lets me connect to the web while he's driving.

I'm so excited to find this forum and to be able to talk with other writers. I have high hopes for this, because hubby is a fact based conversationalist, and I'm the abstract writer-in-the-attic type. Kids are grown, seven grandkids, and yes, I'm still a bit younger than dirt, but not by much. ;)

I'm a major history buff, especially 1800's. Spend hours researching, sometimes just to avoid having to write! Have begun charting all my research, so I can get a handle on where I am. I like to write scenes as they occur to me, then try to pull everything together later. I find that if I try to work in sequence, I feel stiff, uncreative, and get the horrors I used to get from turning in a project at school. My spirit needs the freedom of chaos!

I'm self taught, or untaught, and have taken a few writing courses. I've written four novels (Romance and unpublished) and finally realized I don't really like romance novels, I enjoy reading historical novels. I'm a bit slow I guess, but it finally occured to me that I should write what I enjoy reading. :o

Hope to give and receive encouragement from you all. Thanks for stopping by. Coffee's always on.

jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: hello from Interstate USA!

Postby jasipper » Mon May 22, 2006 6:39 am

Hi Debi!

We have another trucker here named SilverCrow.

I have written one historical fiction novel so far and have a good lead on an agent! Just finished the second draft on my second novel and will be moving on to a third soon! It sounds like you're on the road to a good writing goal! Nice to meet you.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:05 am

Welcome Debi.

Glad to have another historical novelist here. Post some samples down in the critique section and we'll make you feel right at home.

One caution, make sure you set your air card to 'encrytped' access to the wireless, or at least turn your laptop off when you hit the truck stops, if you're like most of us, you have too much critical data on your box to let some braindead hacker trash it.

Welcome again,
John

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Mon May 22, 2006 3:32 pm

Welcome Debi! I just finished what I intend to be the last history class of my life (US to 1865); maybe you should have taken my final for me! Just kidding. I don't write historical fiction and I don't care for history, but I do like a good historical fiction. Heck, history's okay if you can make it up. ;)
Godspeed,
Lynne

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Tue May 23, 2006 10:12 am

Bigsip,
Thanks for making me feel welcome. Great news about the agent. Sometimes I think it's almost as hard to find an agent as a publisher! Good luck on that second draft. You've got the backbones done, now it's time to flesh it in. It's always easier for me once the first draft is done. It's easier to edit than to create. I find I can't "blow through" a first draft. I write random scenes as they come to me from my research, then I take those long hand written pages and enter them into the computer and connect the dots. It's really the second draft that my work begins to take shape.
I looke forward to checking out your blogs.

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Tue May 23, 2006 10:18 am

John, thanks for the warning about the truck stops. Unfortunately, I had already learned that lesson the hard way. Cost me almost more to clean up and secure my laptop than if I had gotten another one and tried to recapture my files.

I'll be posting in the critique section soon. I look forward to any help and suggestions submitted.
That is the one disadvantage of being on the road, no writer's group or support group to meet for lunch and critique. The biggest advantage is that I'm not at home with dishes waiting to be done or the garden offering a sun-dappled napping place! No excuses for me here.

Look forward to working with you.

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Tue May 23, 2006 10:38 am

Hi Lynne,

You're studying my favorite period of US history. I'm working on the displacement of people during that period. The Irish potato famine sent millions of displaced immigrants to our Eastern shore while our government sent the Native Americans west of the Mississippi river. My novel follows the threads of the two groups and they merge in the biggest wave of US immigration in the fields of the San Francisco gold rush.

I envy your education. I had all three of my kids before I was 22. Not much chance for formal education when you're already raising a family and working. I hope you passed your final with flying colors, and put all that work to productive use in your life.

I am trying to trace my Cherokee grandmother right now,. All I have to work with are family history and some dates. I'm searching rolls for documentation because I know her family was removed to Oklahoma. I chose Riverstone as my Cherokee name, because my life has been full of emotional white water that smoothed away the rough edges and taught me to be still and celebrate the flow. I feel a strangely strong pull toward my Cherokee heritage, and it is important to me to find family documentation, and to learn all I can about my people.

I loved your line about history being okay if you can make it up!
:) :) :)

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Tue May 23, 2006 12:29 pm

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Tue May 23, 2006 3:56 pm

Debi, riverstone... Climb on down from that rig and have yourself some coffe (not Karen's) Welcome. So, what's you're 10-20?

Next

Return to Introductions