[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Out from the shadows... : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Out from the shadows...

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Eironia
Private E-1

Out from the shadows...

Postby Eironia » Wed May 17, 2006 7:09 am

Eironia
Private E-1

Out from the shadows...

Postby Eironia » Wed May 17, 2006 7:09 am

...steps the lurker!

S'pose it's about time I introduce myself, having dipped my toe into the pool of writing prompts, run away from the water (despite a warm reception) to hide my flaws, and returned to watching longingly from the edges of the room.

I'm a wannabe writer more than anything else, chronically unable to finish a story, but also unable to stop starting them. My efforts range from aborted introductions to the 50,200 words or so of a NaNoWriMo novel (which is perhaps half complete).  Mostly I weave my tales from the threads of fantasy, but lately I've been dabbling in the sci-fi or more general speculative fiction genres. Add to that a handful of poems and a lot of intentions, and you see my accomplishments - or lack thereof.

My main goal (apart from the dream of walking into Barnes and Noble and seeing my novels next to Tolkien's) is to crack down and learn how to actually FINISH a story. That, and to apply the butt-in-chair principle of writing, which is how I was drawn back here for my second visit - the allure of the writing prompt. But I'm prone to giving up in frustration, casting away my efforts (well, gently placing the laptop aside), and just losing myself in reading. Or lurking. ;)

More than enough about me! This is a great community, fun, helpful and friendly and free of the inanities and offal I've observed in the few other writing communities into which I've peeked. I hope I won't be an annoyance by hiding in the shadows and now and then scuttling forth to participate.

*With a squeak at the attention she's just garnered, the lurker ducks her head and limps back into the shadows. Eyes glimmer, a flash of glasses in the darkness, then no sign remains.*

Epic
Lieutenant Colonel

RE: Out from the shadows...

Postby Epic » Wed May 17, 2006 8:25 am

You suffer from perfectionism.  No, you suffer from fear of failure.  You don't believe in yourself.  You think you don't deserve happiness and a book next to Tolkien.  You have so many enchanting ideas.  You want to do it all.  You're the next #1. People of all ages will stand in line to see you, happy to have found a writer whose work has spun them into the greatest literature of any age.  You suffer from perfectionism.  No, you suffer from fear ....

Welcome to our world.

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Wed May 17, 2006 8:28 am

Jenny (Erionia), welcome. You should spend more time in the light because you never know which member is lurking there in the shadows just behind you. Josh and John are bad about that; probably breathing down your back right now. And all this time you thought it was a smelly draft. HA!

Hmmmm, I shouldn't have said HA. Funny smell just drifted up my nasal passages. puts hand over mouth to test... yuck! dashes off to men's room with bottle of scope.

PaigeVonLiber
Lieutenant

Postby PaigeVonLiber » Wed May 17, 2006 11:43 am

What a nice introduction. Glad you are here. I understand about starting & not finishing. I keep saying 'I'm working on a collection' but I keep finding things to distract me & pull me into something else.

It is safe I shall neither fail nor suceed this way, dangit.

Any who...

Hi I'm Paige a wantabe writer. I'm working on a collection.

That sounded a little grown up didn't it?

Eironia
Private E-1

Postby Eironia » Thu May 18, 2006 9:11 am

Thanks for the welcomes, and the laughs!

Epic - Whoa!  Do I know you, or are you a mind reader?  Apart from the successful lines - oughtn't I be on a couch before being read so easily?  Or are we both just writers? ;)

Loudermilk - That explains a lot - but while I now know the source of the breath stirring the hairs of my nape, the source of the breath that falls on any who lurk behind me is worse, and is exhaled through impressive teeth.  Where I lurk, there lurks further behind a six-month-old neurotic german shepherd pup.  *grin*  Didn't Teddy Roosevelt say something about lurking softly and carrying a big dog?

And Paige - True, you can't fail if you never try, but you can give yourself a complex that way too.  I'll exhort you to complete your collection, you nudge me about a story or two, and we'll see if we can't sound reasonably grown-up together, eh?  -Well, heck, who wants to sound grown-up?   That's for accountant types.  Let's sound like we're having fun, but do so in a reasonably mature fashion. ;)

cherryblossom
Private E-1

Postby cherryblossom » Thu May 18, 2006 9:38 am

Awww! Being grown up is no fun! The trick is to sound like you're thirty on paper, but act like you're five in real life. I'm right there in the middle somewhere so that's what I do and I'm lovin' it! Welcome to the light dear friend! I too am a chronic procrastinator and also suffer from the fear of failure. For three years I wrote in the darkness with no one to read my work and tell me, "Hey this sucks" or "Hey this rocks hard!" Don't be afraid, the people won't bite, only make you better. ;) And the people here are great! Watch out for loudermilk though. I've found he has the tendency to be a bit goofy.

Hmmm... maybe that's why I like his posts so much! Have fun!

Em

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Thu May 18, 2006 10:05 am

Eironia
Private E-1

Postby Eironia » Thu May 18, 2006 11:07 am

You prefer Donald Duck?

cherryblossom
Private E-1

Postby cherryblossom » Thu May 18, 2006 11:23 am

Oh no! I'm sorry, I won't say it again! I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, be happy! :) <-- See that, do that!

Em

Next

Return to Introductions