[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Hello from the Florida Panhandle : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Hello from the Florida Panhandle

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
southernkitty

Postby southernkitty » Thu May 18, 2006 3:37 am

southernkitty

Postby southernkitty » Thu May 18, 2006 3:37 am

I have only been checking out this forum for a couple of days and have decided to introduce myself. I am an original Floridian from Central Florida, moved to the Panhandle in 1978 (before hurricanes decided it was their home base..smile). I am semi-retired (work 20 hours a week) and have decided to pursue my life long love..writing. I have worked in marketing, public relations, fund raising and the last five years before I retired I worked in disaster services covering four panhandle counties. I have been writing all of my life, mostly for my work. My main talent is layout and design and I have done numerous newletters and small newspapers. I was the general manager for a small weekly paper in the eighties. I am an avid personal journal writer (mostly spiritual) and have journals as far back as the early eighties. I plan to leave these journals to my children so they will know more about the spiritual side of my life. I am currently working on family history and plan to write a self-published book on my mothers side of the family. The historical society in my hometown has already requested a copy for their library as my gggggrandfather had a documented rich history there as a county judge and one of the original settlers. I have written several short stories over the years and I am currently revising them and plan to pursue publication. I belong to a local writers club that meets every Thursday night. We critique each others work and are currently working on each of us getting something published. I am currently taking an on-line course on the proper usage of nouns, verbs etc etc. I thought I knew my grammar usage, but I am learning, I didn't know as much as I thought. Well off to work, sorry, I have just told you my life story, well almost..thanks for listening. Hope to be around often.

Epic
Lieutenant Colonel

RE: Hello from the Florida Panhandle

Postby Epic » Thu May 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Hello and Welcome.  You sound busy.

Do you have an addictive personality?  Even if you don't think you do ...  watch yourself here ....  If only someone had .... 

southernkitty

Postby southernkitty » Thu May 18, 2006 4:49 pm

I guess it could be said that I have an addictive personality, but I like to think I just have "stick-to-it." When I find something I like I stick to it. I am addicted to some other forums, so I will just add this one to the list. I am busy but it is a good busy. I used to be hectic busy and I was always tired, now I am busy and I am always happy. I am looking forward to participating in this forum.

vade mecum
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby vade mecum » Thu May 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Greetings. A family history sounds interesting, but also must involve a lot of research. My sister has supposedly been gathering info on our family for about 15 years, and so far has very little beyond the late 1800's. Hope your efforts are more productive :)
Carol

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Thu May 18, 2006 7:18 pm

Welcome Sharon! Sounds like an intersting little history you have there. :) I hope you enjoy the forum! Post on Crit Central if you feel bold. We don't bite...hard.
Godspeed,
Lynne

southernkitty

Postby southernkitty » Fri May 19, 2006 3:34 am

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Fri May 19, 2006 6:05 am

vade mecum
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby vade mecum » Fri May 19, 2006 6:06 am

Your history is very interesting, and respectable too. My brother claims my grandfather told him we are related to the man who shot Jesse James, and my sister is working on that angle now. I am not too sure I want to claim it if it is true, but I suppose it could be seen as a status symbol of sorts---or not.
Have a great day.
Carol

southernkitty

Postby southernkitty » Fri May 19, 2006 9:53 am

Carol, you wrote: "My brother claims my grandfather told him we are related to the man who shot Jesse James"
I am sure your sister has run some rabbit trails in her research, I know I have. However, my mother always said we had a grandfather that was a judge for forty years in my hometown. We grew up poor and having a judge in the family (even tho 5 generations back) seemed to be just a "want-to-be" dream on my mothers part. The judge was the first one we started researching and guess what, my mother was right. He not only was a judge in my hometown from 1860-1894, he held many other positions and was appointed by a Fla Governor to oversee the Freedman Agents. The agency was set up to help the Freed slaves but some agents took advantage of an opportunity and the judge watched over their actions. So, I ran the Freedman rabbit trail and learned some rich history about the Freedman Agency in the 1860's. I also discovered my grandfather in a Florida Sketches book written before his death in 1894. It was located in the research library in the University of Florida. I also found that he was one of the original board members for the East Florida Seminary which many believe later became the University of Florida. All of this is documented. So, encourage your family to ride the Jesse James trail (no pun intended) because it could be true. I know Jesse wasn't the best of characters, but we all have a few characters in our family history. I know I do. Jesse James did make it into the history books of our country..smile.

Next

Return to Introductions