My first week as a writer

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Sunny78
Private E-1

Postby Sunny78 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:02 am

Sunny78
Private E-1

Postby Sunny78 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:02 am

Hello all,

Writing has always been my hobby and my "dream career," but I have never seriously pursued it. I placed in some writing contests in high school and a few years ago I entered a short story in a contest. It received an honorable mention and was published in some nationally distributed Sunday School literature.

I have recently felt this awful fear that if I don't at least attempt to pursue a career in writing, I will end up laying on my death bed thinking, "I really should have been a writer." Since I want to have as few regrets as possible about my life, I have resigned my job to stay home with my 4 month old daughter and write.

This is my first week as a writer, and I welcome any advice you veterans have to give. Not to sound picky-choosy, but at this point what I value the most is advice about how to generate supplemental income quickly (if that is possible) and how to actually finish an entire novel. I start out with great ideas for whole series of books, but lose steam after about 2,500 words. (The jump drive containing the one and only novel I almost finished has mysteriously disappeared.) Maybe I should just write short stories.....

Looking forward to making some "writer friends,"
Sunny

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

RE: My first week as a writer

Postby KarenRankowitz » Wed May 03, 2006 7:12 am

Hi Sunny,

As any thought of inspiration or novel help have eluded me, I just wanted to say hi and welcome you.

A 4-month old - God bless ya!

Your user name reads like a weather forecast I am in great need of...

Welcome, and enjoy - ask and you shall receive (though I think somewhere in that quote is - be careful what ya ask for - especially here - you are bound to get innundated...

Karen :)

dcrre
Private E-1

Postby dcrre » Wed May 03, 2006 7:13 am

hey there,
wow congratulations and good luck on pursuing your dream career - if your 4-month-old will let you :) I have only been creative writing for 6 months, been lurking here for a while, so am about to post my own Hello message.
What do you write? What style of writing?
Good luck to you
Denise

Sunny78
Private E-1

Postby Sunny78 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:37 am

I normally write mysteries, but my one published short is a dramatization of the Biblical story of Jacob and Esau. Because Bible stories tend to be skeletons, I enjoy putting meat on their bones. But back to mysteries.... I'm not good with all the writer lingo yet, but I think the style of mystery I like best would be considered a "cozy." Think Lillian Jackson Braun. However, I know that there is much darker stuff within me because the one novel I got so close to completing had a villain that terrified even me, his creator. I kept re-reading him, thinking, "How did THIS guy come out of MY head?!"

Another genre I am interested in is children's fiction. I would love to write some books for my daughter, but have absolutely no idea where to begin.

My brain is a 24/7 idea factory, but I have trouble focusing on one idea and sticking with it. I have the feeling, though, that if I ever could, I would find some kind of greatness within myself. Hope that doesn't sound vain....

Epic
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Epic » Wed May 03, 2006 10:53 am

Start by writing what you like to read. 

I, too, had gobs of ideas which I just kept rolling around in my brain, until one day I forced myself to have an epiphany, which was:  "Hey, ideas rolling around in my brain don't buy donuts", so I forced myself to...drum roll... PICK ONE.  You're not alone in this, it's a common problem.  See, you've already joined the ranks.

bluegrass91646
Private E-1

Postby bluegrass91646 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:08 am

Yes, congratulations on taking that wonderful leap to full-time writing (or as much as possible with a 4-month-old; I have a three-month old at home who offers me little time for writing, or anything of a personal nature!).

I wish I had some advice on ideas, but my Muse has been silent for a long time, and I am only getting started again because I can focus on one particular issue that is hauting me anyway.

I don't write (or read) mystery, but for me ideas come out of order. I put things into a story where they might belong, and the length comes from filling in between. I don't know if a mystery writer can work that way.

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Fri May 05, 2006 7:05 am

Welcome to the forum and the world of writing! I can't really help you with the income thing, seeing as my work has never seen the light of day (yet)...but as for the question of how to finish, I think I can yak about that some. I'll try to sound intelligent ;)
Personally, I have trouble writing short stories because I come up with so much of a plot/conflict that it has to be done in a novel. My younger sister (goobiesonvenus; you might see her around here) says she's the opposite. She has trouble coming up with a plot long enough for a novel, so she mostly sticks to novellas and short stories. So I think it all depends on who you are and exactly what your brain does ;)
Godspeed (especially with a four-month-old),
Lynne

Return to Introductions