[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Too tired to think of a snazzy thread title... : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Too tired to think of a snazzy thread title...

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Miggy
Private E-1

Postby Miggy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Miggy
Private E-1

Postby Miggy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Hello, all.

I finally finished the novel this past week after 5 years of intermittently working on it. You know the story. Get so tired of it, you put it down for 6 months.
Anyway, I began the search for a publisher and was directed to this site by one of them that was kind enough to say that I couldn't send them an unsolicited manuscript, but
I could go to these helpful sites for the first steps on how to get started. I've been reading through this forum and have enjoyed it.

That's it for now. I have to get in bed. Will be another long day tomorrow.

Miggy, the Thief

Don't judge me too harshly because of the rambling structure of this post. I need sleep.

entropy_happens

RE: Too tired to think of a snazzy thread title...

Postby entropy_happens » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:22 pm

Mike, welcome to the lunatic asylum. I know you'll enjoy yourself here. Muahahahaha!
Just kidding. But seriously, welcome aboard. So what's the novel about? What do you like to read?
Again, welcome!
Godspeed,
Lynne

Miggy
Private E-1

Postby Miggy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Lynne,

Thanks for the welcome.

I got the basic idea for my novel when I was reading through The Stand for about the fourth time. I always think it's an interesting concept for a few survivors to wander from empty town to empty town, except that I personally would not want to deal with the dead bodies left after the plague. So I began to try to think of ways that just a few survivors could be left from some event and not have any trace of those who had been taken. I soon had the basic idea, which has remained pretty much the same even through all the revisions. I have a sample of it on my website if you're interested. It's the prologue and first two chapters. There are 32 chapters in all, intermixed with the prologue, epilogue and three interludes. The genre is mainly sci-fi/fantasy, because the background story (what caused this catastrophe on earth) takes place on a planet 58 light years away. That story is told through the prologue, epilogue and interludes. The main part is partly drama (although of a mostly lighthearted variety), with a little bit more sc-fi or fantasy thrown in because of a supernatural element involved. Oh, by the way, it's called 184 Days - a title that will only become 100% clear after you've read the whole thing.

About what I read... well, don't laugh, but most of the books I've read have been by Stephen King. I'm not the biggest reader, just because I don't have a lot of spare time. Other than that, my favorite novel is The Great Gatsby, with honorable mentions to Watership Down and The Hitchiker's Guide series.

It didn't bring up your message in this reply screen, and I can't remember if there was anything else. If there is, I'll edit!

Miggy, the Thief

VictoriaE
Private First Class

Postby VictoriaE » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:43 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums - you are going to love it here :)

Miggy
Private E-1

Postby Miggy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:41 am

Thanks, Victoria E.

I was going to ask if that was an embarrassed face, but I see all the emoticons are blue. I wonder why that is.

Miggy, the Thief

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:20 pm

Miggy
Private E-1

Postby Miggy » Mon May 01, 2006 5:59 am

Lynne,

This forum is a little different from the others I use. There are separate Reply buttons for each message. The other two times, I was replying to myself!

I might be out of the Stephen King phase, at least as far as buying/readying new books. I like his horror books. When he got into "serious writing" (some time around the early 90's, after everyone kept telling him he should do something besides horror - this is according to him, btw), I lost interest. I'll go back and re-read most of the ones I have, though. Currently, I"m reading Hearts in Atlantis. This would not have been something I would have gotten for myself. It was given to me for Christmas two years ago. Finally getting around to reading it. I'm 170 pages into it. The story doesn't interest me all that much, but I like the characters at least.

Yes, I have seen the TV movie of The Stand. I have the DVD of that as well as Langoliers (still my favorite of his) and Needful Things. I'd like to go through each section of the book and watch that section of the movie for a good comparison. I think they went by the book pretty well.. only taking out a few things and taking some shortcuts, as to be expected.

The Great Gatsby was the first time that I realized that an assigned book reading could be enjoyable. I dreaded it at first and procrastinated like I was always do. When I finally started it, I got through it in "two sittings", as my english teacher put it. I need to get that movie as well one day, the one with Sam Waterston and Bruce Dern.

Let me know if you look at the website and what you think.

p.s. How many posts do you need to use an avatar?

Miggy, the Thief

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon May 01, 2006 1:08 pm

That's funny; I was given Hearts in Atlantis for Christmas too, but it was about three years ago. I haven't yet read it. I just started a new book by Ted Dekker called Obsessed.
I saw The Langoliers a long time ago, and I thought that had the effects been better, it would've been great. The novella was also good. But my favorite of Stephen King's will always be Secret Window.
And because I'm such a slacker, I forgot to check out your website, but I promise I'll do it! :)
Godspeed,
Lynne
Oh, and as far as an avatar, someone was just talking about this. They said go to your profile and specify a URL thingie for your picture. I don't think it matters how many posts you have.

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Mon May 01, 2006 1:15 pm

[/QUOTE] Godspeed, Lynne Oh, and as far as an avatar, someone was just talking about this. They said go to your profile and specify a URL thingie for your picture. I don't think it matters how many posts you have.[/QUOTE]

Ok, on this URL thingy - how come it just won't take a picture like a jpeg format?  I am so avatar illiterate...:(

Next

Return to Introductions