OK in OK--but then . . .

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
debo
Private E-2

OK in OK--but then . . .

Postby debo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:45 am

debo
Private E-2

OK in OK--but then . . .

Postby debo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:45 am

Hello, fellow enthusiasts of the virtual pen.

I write from my current abode in OK, where indeed "the wind comes sweepin' down the plain". Haven't been here long enough to know about the "wavin' wheat" part. Until December of last year I wrote from Jos, Nigeria, where I knew lots of writers personally. Now, in this new place, I'm looking for those kinds of connections. And I don't even know how long I'll be here. My current job is a one-semester gig (which ought to tell you my occupation).

Job-hunting itself makes a story, but "this is neither the time nor the place".

To summarize, for all you regionalists and other -ists: Born in South Florida, which is northern, I grew up in north Florida, which is Southern (a Floridian will understand this). Disgraced my Jewish family by becoming Christian (after passing through "Jew-nitarian"). Have resided for various reasons in Arkansas; Memphis; LA (actually, San Fernando Valley--THE valley); Valdosta, GA; Long Island; Tallahassee; and assorted venues in Nigeria. Have worked in a nursing home, a nursery school (actually several), a children's home, my own home, a janitor's closet--and the immediate vicinity, and a lot of college classrooms. Stood on the actual outdoor set of M*A*S*H a few hours before a wildfire burned it to the ground. Have also experienced hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and religious riots.

Lots of writing to my credit. Most of it awful, to my shame.

I once won $15 in a poetry competition. A few of my other writings have been published, but only one for $$$ (or more precisely, for -/$). Am looking for an agent to promote my very long novel. Am looking for other writers to get ideas, advice, encouragement, and a few healthy laughs from. Am willing to give as I expect to receive.

Hello to all of you. ;)

goobiesonvenus
Private First Class

RE: OK in OK--but then . . .

Postby goobiesonvenus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:46 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear that you're a Christian, and wow! you've done lots of stuff! ;)

I hope that you enjoy it here and find it as useful and helpful as I have.

-Goobies

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Welcome to the insane asylum--cough, cough--forum. Sorry, guys, it just came out. Anyway, I hope you find this as useful as the rest of us have!
Good luck with all your writing!
Lynne

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:33 am

Hi and welcome. I know the SF Valley quite well. I grew up there - in Northridge.

Sounds like you have lots of life experience to write about. Feel free to share some of it with us. We love to read what everyone else is writing.

plegion
Private E-1

Postby plegion » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:04 am

Stick around you will see the waving wheat. I'm in OK as well been here all my life. Original Okie from Muskogee. Glad to have another Christian this state can use all of them it can get. Write On!

Matawanron
Private E-2

Postby Matawanron » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:56 am

I've been there-done that, in OK, that is - I've seen the waivin' wheat, I've seen the corn as high as an elephant's eye - saw the elephant, too: - don't mind me, I'm quirkie this mornin' it's a "beautiful day" here in Indianapolis and I think everyrhing is going my way, at least for the time being. Welcome to our world-write stuff. Do you "journal?" 

Laruuk

Postby Laruuk » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:16 am

Debo!

Lot's in common, we have.

South Florida is the southern-most Yankee state in the union.

On the FL/GA state line, it is very southern. Deep south-like in fact. BUT The further south you go, the more northern the culture, until you hit Key West.

*sigh*

I miss Florida. Especially the rain that you could set your watch by.

I've lived in Valdosta, Tallahassee, Miami, and Tampa, among other varied and sundry locals. I was close to Lawton, OK for about 8 weeks in December/January. OMG! I've never been so cold in my life and I live in Alaska now.

Welcome to the neurotic keyboarding club. (I used to call it a typewrite club, but was urged to enter the new millenium.)

Return to Introductions