[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Hello all, and a computer question : Introductions • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Hello all, and a computer question

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
goobiesonvenus
Private First Class

RE: Hello all, and a computer question

Postby goobiesonvenus » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum. I can't really say much about computers...sorry.

-Lauren

foulisfair

Postby foulisfair » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:15 am

I would definatly go Mac, though the professed PC user I am, Macs are much more user friendly, and the company itself has an impeccible (spelling?) attention to details both in it's products and in it's customer service. Un problemo though, the whole 'Word document from a Mac saved on a floppy then opened on a PC only to find gobbly-gook in place of your 150 page winning novel' is not too fun. That can be avoided as well only if when saving your document, you save it not as a Word Document, but instead as a Rich Text Format, that way it has a more universally saved format that can be read by both Macs and PCs!

Ta-Daaah! How does that Mac sound now?!? (Knowing my luck you're viewing this on your brandnew PC laptop...)

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm not at all a MAC fan because many programs I need can't be had for the MAC, and I think MACs are badly overpriced, but if all you want to do is write, and don't need some of the esoteric programs I use for other things, and if you aren't into gaming, a MAC works very well for a writer. I know gobs of pro writers who use and love one flavor of MAC or another.

Now that MAC is going Intel, I may buy one myself, though I'm more of an AMD fan.

But MAC or PC, you have all you need to be a writer, and then some.

As for word processors, Word is still the king, but I can'ttell you how many writers I've known who use WordPerfect, OpenOffice, Works, AbiWord, Atlantis, etc. I know close to a dozen who still use WordStar.

Right now I have Word 2003, WordPerfect 12, OpenOffice 2.02, Works 7.0, Atlantis, AbiWord, and probably three or four others I'm forgetting about, all on my computer. I can write perfectly well with any of them.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:35 pm

foulisfair

Postby foulisfair » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:18 am

Nah, no one really does. Personally, my zip drive is my best friend. However, it seemed the whole "floppy" thing was the most relatable item for the non-technological...

meech

Postby meech » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi! I'm new around here too. I just got my Toshiba Satellite. It's just right but a little on the heavy side. My significant other just got an HP Pavillion and it's bigger, faster and light as a feather.

As far as programs go, I trade between Word Perfect (my personal favorite) and MS Office's Word. As options go, Word Perfect is easier for me to use and it has many options I find convenient that aren't as convenient on Word.

If you need info - fast - Encarta Online would be the fastest route. As far as charges, it's pretty cheap, especially if you're frantic for that perfect word or need a crash course. I've been working on a novel for about two years and the only reason I've been able to write 250 pages is because I can get the info without leaving my desk. A trip to the local library or a waiting time of a few days for delivery isn't exactly convenient when you're in a frenzy at three a.m.

~~Meech~~

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:21 am

Hey Michelle!

Give us a personal intro! What do you write? What do you eat? Why is the sky blue? Nice to meet you! Keep posting!

Previous

Return to Introductions