Hello all, and a computer question

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

Outwrite
Private E-1

Postby Outwrite » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:24 pm

Outwrite
Private E-1

Postby Outwrite » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi everybody! I'll admit up front, I'm not a huge forum person. I know I can learn quite a bit from fellow writers, though, so here I am, ready to learn (and maybe even contribute to others' knowledge). The first thing I'd like know is what laptop to buy. I was a huge fan of Apples years ago, but switched to a PC when I never could find programs for my Apple. Now I'd like to switch back, but I mainly want a laptop for writing, along with some internet and digital photo use. I was totally planning to buy an Apple laptop once the one I wanted got its new Intel processor (whenever that will be), but from reading the product reviews on the Apple website, I'm wondering if an Apple is the best choice for a writer. It doesn't sound like the word processing software available for Apples is up to snuff for a working writer. Any comments? Please help - my tax return is on its way and I'm desperately in need of a new computer! Thanks!

entropy_happens

RE: Hello all, and a computer question

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Welcome! I can't answer your question because I've never owned a Mac. I use Microsoft Works for a word processor, and it's the biggest oxymoron you've ever heard. I only use it because it's usurped my Microsoft Office. It's bizarre; computers have minds of their own. Trust me--I'm taking a programming class at college!
But anyway, welcome! I hope you enjoy the forum! Good luck with the computer decision.
Lynne

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:06 am

To use a laptop the way you say you want to use it... don't bother with MAC/Apple. Stick to a the 'regular' stuff and you shouldn't have any problems.

Well, actually, you'll get upset when, within a few weeks after your purchase, there will be a newer, bigger, better.... and, yes, cheaper one on the market. Because of this, I recommend paying cash (in full) at the time of purchase. When I bought my first computer, it was top of the line. I purchased on the installment plan. Before it was half-way paid off, bigger and better was on the shelves for less than half of what I paid.

Almost forgot... Welcome to the forum. Use it carefully because it's very addictive. I need to quit but I lack the willpower.

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:39 am

Beth, we're very glad to have you here. I learned to use a computer on a Mac, but have used pc's for so long I don't even remember how to use one. My brother uses only Mac's but he's a photographer as well as a writer. I think it's for the graphics quality that he uses the Mac. I know, no help at all, sorry. But again, welcome. Post a lot. Ask a lot. Enjoy.

YarnSpinner
Private First Class

Postby YarnSpinner » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:30 am

Welcome to the forum. I wasn't a forum person either, but yes, I am now addicted to this one. As someone else said, watch out for that.

I've had my laptop, a HP/Compaq, for a year now and I love it. The thing that sold me was its AMD processor, which I have on several desk top PC's and has been really a tough work horse. Also it had a pretty good mail-in rebate at the time, and money was a consideration. MS Word 2003 is my word processor. I don't mean this as an ad for anything, just my opinion.

Have fun here, and post often.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:44 am

I have a Gateway with Linux MEPIS on it and I love it! But, I'd recommend a Dell with Windows and MS Word.

Welcome to the forums. Tell us about your writing. Post all you want! Great to meet you!

Matawanron
Private E-2

Postby Matawanron » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Hi, Outwrite,
I have everything Hewlett-Packard, EXCEPT DESKTOP, whish is Sony with lots of bells and whistles. My desktop uses Wordperfect 10, and my Laptop uses what else? Wordperfect 9 - I bought the laptop before I had to junque the other desktop-and my son buys everything Sony, so I tried it. And , I love my HP Deskjet 940C/I have 2 of them. I bought on the internet both times, but will buy my next laptop probably at Best Buys, like someone said, prices keep dropping, and I'll get professional help with the sale. Good luck - Matawanron

Outwrite
Private E-1

Postby Outwrite » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:22 am

Thanks for the welcome and the info, everybody! I finally bought my laptop, and ended up with a Windows-based one instead of an Apple. Sounds like the word processing is best that way. Looking forward to chatting with you all some more, and thanks again for the advice!

Farnswell

Postby Farnswell » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:27 am

I have a Mac G5 (not a laptop), and I love it!!! You can purchase Microsoft Office for the Mac. I write every day in Microsoft Word for Mac and have never had a problem. In my opinion, Macs are far more stable and less likely to be affected by viruses because few viruses are written to corrupt the Mac OS platform. Also, when it comes to graphic design, video and audio work, for whatever reason, there is no comparison to the Mac's superior reliability... Advertising agencies, publishers and big photographers almost exclusively use Macs in their production process.

Just chiming in.

Next

Return to Introductions