[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Newbie Wannabe : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Newbie Wannabe

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
swweeks

Newbie Wannabe

Postby swweeks » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:53 pm

swweeks

Newbie Wannabe

Postby swweeks » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Greetings.

My name is Stephanie, and I'm new to the forums (quite obviously). I am a published novelist, although not widely, successfully, or satisfactorialy. I can at least claim some remaining degree of purity as I haven't yet succumbed to the vanity press (never close any option though). In addition, I am a research psychologist, and I've just joined the faculty of Coastal Carolina University. I am married and the mother of three daughters, 13 yo, 5 yo, and 20 mos.

One of my chief challenges is discipline in writing. I tend to write fast and furious when the muse is upon me and am terribly neglectful of the craft in off months. For a while, I've sought some external stimulus to keep me writing when the story isn't there, and I'm looking forward to the challenges & prompts here. If anyone has any input, I'm always open to suggestion.

For several weeks now, I've also participated in a couple of communities on LiveJournal.com. This has primarily served the role of character development for a former supporting character who has assumed center stage in one of my current WsIP. That has been a lot of fun, but it's a wee bit limited. I should be able to branch out a little more here.

Probably far more than you'd like to know in an introduction. At any rate, I'm happy to be here and looking forward to a good time.

cheers,
stephanie

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

RE: Newbie Wannabe

Postby KarenRankowitz » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi there Stephanie,

Nice to meet you, and no, it's not more than we want to know.  It's great to hear your published - good for you!

With an intro like this, though, you might have more people asking you for advice and suggestions than we, not-so-published folks could offer to you in that respect.

Welcome to the forums, glad to have your experience here with us.

Karen :)

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:36 pm

Welcome to the forums, newbie who isn't really a newbie! Karen's right; since you're published, we'll flock to you for answers. Heh heh.
Out of curiosity, what's a WsIP?
Godspeed,
Lynne

swweeks

Postby swweeks » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:47 pm

Karen & Lynne,

Thank you so much - both of you - for the warm welcome.

As I haven't yet recouped my postage investments in seeking publication, I wouldn't run to me with questions just yet. However, I do hope to both learn and help (in whatever way I can). Mostly, I am just very glad to have found this community (have been a long time reader of WD, don't know how I missed the forums), and I really look forward to both the community and to the ability to hone my craft in quiet moments... without waiting on inspiration!

Thanks again.

cheers,
stephanie

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:56 pm

Well, you will certainly enjoy this insane asylum--or community as you call it. :) I hope you find it as fun and useful as I have.
Godspeed,
Lynne

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:28 am

Hey Sugar!

OK, don't kill me, I can't help it. I grew up in South Alabama and had a a relapse.

Nice to meet you Su- I mean Staphanie ;)

It appears that you are one busy lady. My suggestion, as far as staying on task writing, is to keep a pen and a notebook handy always. When you need to write, write. Then, transpose the rest later. Just keep writing! Don't worry about the rest.

swweeks

Postby swweeks » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:36 am

Thanks, Josh (Joshua?).

I do try to keep some writing paraphernalia with me wherever I happen to be. I actually enjoy writing (for brief periods) long-hand and have a variety of journals, sketchbooks, and the like floating around with bits of words and stories collecting dust in their pages. It's wonderful though as you suggest to just be able to pull something out and go to town when the Muse decides to pop in for a spell.

My difficulties arise from 1) lack of direction when I'm not currently engaged in a story, and 2) lack of discipline about researching agents and publishers. One day, I'll get the hang of juggling the many colored balls in my life, but not today I fear.

Thanks again for the welcome. Please... if the urge strikes, feel free to contribute to Don't Call Me Sugar; we are absolutely accepting submissions from the men who love Southern Women as well as from the women themselves!

cheers,
stephanie

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:46 am

Epic
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Epic » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:59 am

As one newbie to another and someone whose inner life is a series of humorous essays, I just had to say I've enjoyed reading yours.

Next

Return to Introductions