[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
New Member Here... : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

New Member Here...

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

EvieMay
Sergeant

New Member Here...

Postby EvieMay » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:35 pm

EvieMay
Sergeant

New Member Here...

Postby EvieMay » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:35 pm

Howdy from Texas! I'm here to expand my knowledge and learn from those who've put themselves out there already. I've always enjoyed writing poetry and introspective letters to friends and family, but dream of writing something larger.

I recently spent three weeks possessed by an otherworldy entity who demanded I write around the clock until I had a short story (33,00 words or so, and not something I could ever publish, but man was it fun to write!). Wow, writers high is addictive! My fingers couldn't keep up with the words and images flashing in my head! When I finished the story, I felt elated and yet empty and sad at the same time. Is that normal?

I'm looking for a worthwhile on-line writing course, as I need something to nudge me past my own self doubt. I know I am making common inexperienced writer mistakes and want to educate myself on how to improve. Any favorite courses you'd recommend? Are they worthwhile; do they help?

I have been reading the posts for a while and must say--you are hilarious and inspiring individuals and seem to have a blast communicating with one another! I look forward to sharing my fears and dreams with you.

Thanks!

Fantasy
Major

RE: New Member Here...

Postby Fantasy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:54 pm

Hello Evie!

Welcome to the forums! How are you?

33,000 words huh? Wow.... you're farther along in writing than I am and I'm looking to publish my little blurb too! Care to share a little with us? Please? Like... what's it about? The genre? The charactors? The Twist?! Come on!! I have to know how it ENDS!!! PLease!! Don't torture-

*blink blink*

*grins*

*slinks away and hides under a rock*

;)
-Anna

EvieMay
Sergeant

Postby EvieMay » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:08 pm

Well, I hate to admit this in a serious writers forum, but it was a silly 'fanfic' based on my favorite TV show (Stargate Atlantis). I guess that makes it Sci Fi, but I'm not really sure if that is 'my' genre. I just know the show inspired me to write something, and I had fun writing it. Now I want to write something of my own creation. The fanfic stuff was great practice to refresh myself with punctuation, grammar, form, etc., the down side being the main characters have been created, so no original thought needed from me. I did come up with my own story idea and one original character, and experimented with building her into someone unique.

While I enjoyed writing my story, I'm afraid I might be hiding in the 'fanfic' arena because I know it's safe, not scary like the real writing world! Does that make sense? :)

Fantasy
Major

Postby Fantasy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:19 pm

Evie! You've tapped into the easiest way to start writing!

Fanfiction!

Fanfiction, in my personal opinion, is excellent practice if you're unsure about writing about your own little world. Trust me on this; when I started, I wrote a piece based on a game (D&D) forum I had found on the internet. Seven chapters and nearly 70 (single spaced) pages later I was forced to transform it into something else - a world that had transended the original game based short story and mutated into the beginning of my original first novel. I've since stopped writing it (because it was driving me crazy!) and started working on a different story (herein referred to as my "First Novel" and called "Fantasy") that had came into being by a Writers Prompt here on this little forum.

Forget the negative words that anyone else has; Fanfiction is good! You gain courage in your writing and when you're brave enough to write something that's all your own... you'll be so happy! you'll not know what to do except write!

:)

-Anna

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:30 pm

EvieMay
Sergeant

Postby EvieMay » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:27 am

Anna, thanks for the advice about fanfic. I love to read it and have fun writing it. I'm glad to hear from someone else who also enjoys the venu.

Yudelka, I love how you said "when" I become famous! I love positive thinkers! :) Besides, that street runs both ways, and you folks will arrive sooner than I will!

I was brave and posted a reply on the writers challenge thread, the contest about flat tires and something in the trunk. (How'd they know I have junk in my trunk?) Y'all tell me if it's crap!

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:38 am

Welcome home, EvieMay. We've all been sittin' around wondering what was takin' you so long. Sounds like you've got a good start going there. If you really want people to tell you about your writing, try posting a little part in the critique central forum.

Enjoy, glad to have you here.

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 am

*raising left arm, palm facing forward* How, EvieMay. May you find peace in Texas. After many moons, I am happy to not live there.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:06 am

Nice to meet you, EvieMay!

It sounds like you're off to a great start with your writing. Just keep doing it!

Keep telling us about it, too. It really helps to have a group of crazy writer people with whom to share your trials, tribulations, and triumphs!

See you around, Evie!

Next

Return to Introductions