[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Okay, here goes . . . : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Okay, here goes . . .

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

foothillbilly

Okay, here goes . . .

Postby foothillbilly » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:19 pm

foothillbilly

Okay, here goes . . .

Postby foothillbilly » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:19 pm

I finally decided I'd better do something. I don't have the spare time for writing as a hobby, but people keep telling me I could and should go professional with it. I'd much rather spend my working time writing than doing the stressful, chaotic and underpaid office work that costs me 8 hours a day now.

I haven't even activated the writersmarket.com subscription that comes with the book yet. That looks like a commitment (cringes). All the same, I have to make a living somehow. Since I don't know where this goes, I guess I'll sign off and leave it at this.

Calvin Rittenhouse

yudelka
Captain

RE: Okay, here goes . . .

Postby yudelka » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:42 pm

Well hello, Calvin.
It's great to meet you.
I know someone by that name, you know.
I'm impressed that you've purchased the writer's market already. I don't have the book, but just got my online subscription last night, and I've been around here for months.

You'll really like this place. Everyone is willing to help, even the ones like me, who have no idea what to do yet.

I love your signature, by the way.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Welcome to the nuthouse!! Guys, that's what we're calling it, right? It's not?? Oops. Oh well. Welcome anyway! Good luck with your writing! What do you write?
Lynne

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:25 pm

Welcome Calvin, we're glad you're among us. This place is a lot like Hotel California. Don't think you'll be leaving us anytime soon, so just relax and enjoy yourself.

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:29 am

Calvin, welcome.

Although everyone here is quite lovable in their own quirky ways, they are mostly nuts. If you need to talk with the only sane person here, just give me a dollar.... ah, I mean "holler." (That's Southern for "call on me.")

Jack

PS - Don't believe any of the come-backs that are likely to follow this posting.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:52 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:22 am

I don't think sanity matters much to our new friend. He's the one jumping out of the plane without a parachute! Dude, if I had the "assets", I'd love to write full-time, too. But, I'll hold down the 40 per and write my books till something happens. It's not ideal, but I'm too dang scared to hit the ground!

foothillbilly

Postby foothillbilly » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:44 am

Hmmm, please remember that "sanity" is generally defined by people who have never seen it. Like "normal."

I write essentially anything other than fiction. I find reality more interesting as well as easier to work. What I have written lately falls into two categories: my autobiography (for the writing "group") and policies and procedures for a government office (my day job).

For me, the "Hotel California" effect is my job. I hired onto the lowest-level dead-end job available on purpose, so I'd have time for my own life and not have to socialize at work. I'm still in the same job and they've got me writing policies and procedures for people all over the state. I can't explain that. :( They finally did give me a raise, though.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming!

Calvin

Return to Introductions