[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I'm John Farnswell... : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I'm John Farnswell...

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Farnswell
Private E-1

I'm John Farnswell...

Postby Farnswell » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Farnswell
Private E-1

I'm John Farnswell...

Postby Farnswell » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Hello, I'm glad to find a forum that has so many people struggling with and confronting the same issues I am as I try to make my way through life as a writer.

A little about me: I'm a thirty-year-old full-time freelance writer living in an eastern suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. The vast majority of my money comes from doing freelance advertising and marketing communications copy writing for local companies.

I'm slowly making the transition into more journalistic and creative endeavours. I'd like to do exclusively travel and humor writing for magazines and write sports how-to books by 2007. For the last five years, I have written freelance articles for the county newspaper and several regional magazines. I'd like to expand to larger publications with more challenging assignments.

It wouldn't hurt to write a well read novel too, but I believe in taking one small step at a time.

I guess I have two questions to those of you reading this:
1. Who are you and where are you from?
2. Any suggestions on what makes an effective author web site? Specifically: How many clips should I post? Should I include an author photo (headshot)? Should my blog content be about my endeavours in writing, or include my musings on social issues, etc.?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope to get to know some of you a little better. The last six years have proven that writing can sometimes be a lonely way to make a living.
John Farnswell

Tiff
Private E-1

RE: I'm John Farnswell...

Postby Tiff » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Hi John!

I'm not an expert.. but I would google the types of writers you would like to be and see what they have going on as far as websites. Get a take on what they offer that you.. as a consumer/reader like the most or the least.. get some ideas and be creative. What do you like about reading authors? Do you want to get to know them outside of their 'official' writing? Do you want gobs of samples of their writings? Maybe a step back to look at what you as a person/reader/consumer would want to see may give you some ideas?

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Dear John,

Great to make your acquaintance! You're right about writing being a lonely life. I love this forum because it gives me the chance to spend time with fellow writers. I'm from Texas originally, but right now my family and I are living in Germany. That makes life a bit lonely sometimes, too!

Your question about the website is excellent. I hope you get some good replies. If you don't get very many here, you might consider asking it again in the Writers' Block Party forum. The suggestion to look at the websites of your role models is a good one, and beyond that, I'm not sure what to suggest. Because I don't write articles, my website isn't a particularly helpful model for you to consider. It's pretty formal and focuses heavily on the book world.

But I'm glad to have met you!

Clare

Jumbie
Lieutenant

Postby Jumbie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:25 am

Hey John. Welcome to the forum. I've written one novel (police procedural) and have two in the works (one is the second in a series with the first and the other is - I don't know, chic-lit?). I've written a few short stories and have nothing published - yet. I know nothing about author web sites, so I have no advice as to the question - sorry.

Sounds like you're pretty busy and doing well. Keep at your plan - I'm sure with your drive you can make it happen.

Hope you enjoy the forum. We are a nice bunch of people and even our petty squabbles are usually in fun. Post often.

Meddie

ps - nice dog

Farnswell
Private E-1

Postby Farnswell » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:19 pm

Thanks, Clare. I've actually been to your site and really liked the layout, content and photos on it. I think you're right that my site will likely be different organizationally because my main focus right now is increasing my number of published nonfiction magazine articles.

Somewhere down the line, though, my web site will encompass my magazine, novel and book length non-fiction writing and will likely end up looking more like your site.

John

P.S. Glad to make your acquiantance and congratulations on your publishing success.

Farnswell
Private E-1

Postby Farnswell » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:23 pm

Meddie:

I've enjoyed the forum so far. Lots of people in the same creative boat.

Can I trade you my place in Cleveland, Ohio for your place in Oregon? I was in Oregon in 2003 and loved it!

John
P.S. My St. Bernard loved your comment...either that or she's just barking for me to give her another rawhide.

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:49 pm

Well hello John! Let's see...I'm a college kid from California, a starving freshman (actually no, I'm doing really well in that area). I'm majoring in Civil Engineering but considering a switch to Computer Engineering. I write religious fiction, in the middle of novel number two (but the first one I haven't done anything with yet).
As for the other question, I can't help you, sorry. But welcome aboard!
Lynne

Jumbie
Lieutenant

Postby Jumbie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Farnswell
Private E-1

Postby Farnswell » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:47 am

Yeah, Ohio is quite lacking in Ansel Adams-esque scenic views. I'm up on Lake Erie twenty miles east of Cleveland. The most scenic location I can think of is the parking lot outside of Wal Mart - "scenic" largely due to it frequent scenes of rage and frustration by rabid shoppers looking for parking spots.

Oregon, on the other hand, is magically scenic, whether you're on the Coast or on the border of Idaho.
John

Next

Return to Introductions