Yeah, I'm sort of young.

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
sidcahn
Private E-1

Yeah, I'm sort of young.

Postby sidcahn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:29 pm

sidcahn
Private E-1

Yeah, I'm sort of young.

Postby sidcahn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:29 pm

Hi guys. My name is Sam Cahn and I am finding it very hard to be taken seriously as an author lately. I turned 20 April 1st and spent my birthday at the "Authors at Sea" meeting (if you've heard of it) and no one really listened to me there because I'm not "experienced". Anyway, I have two books out on amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com if you're interested...they're called "Walk a Mile in my Socks" and "Life on Repeat". Walk a Mile is better. If you don't want to fork out ten bucks for them, I can send them online but it gets annoying to read books on a screen, so maybe ordering them would be better if you're curious about them. Anyway, I'm working on something now and joined this site to get some feedback...so...hi!

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

RE: Yeah, I'm sort of young.

Postby JessicaLeigh » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:46 pm

Welcome.

May I ask what iUniverse is--an online publisher?

I don't understand why anyone would not take you seriously at twenty years old--if you were twelve, that'd be different.

You'll like it here...we're all nice. Well, usually. ;)

sidcahn
Private E-1

Postby sidcahn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:55 pm

yeah, iuniverse is a publisher. My dad's friend told me about it and I jumped on it. I didn't look around for other places, I was in a huge hurry. I started writing the story in September of 2004 and it was printed and in my hands by the middle of December 2004. (it took about a month to produce, too, so really I spent about 2 months to write it--and no, I did not leave my room much while I wrote). People don't take me seriously because I don't fit the role, meaning I spend my days failing college courses and dreaming of getting on MTV. hahah but I don't know...I do actually look maybe sixteen and people just think I'm still wet behind the ears and don't give my writing a chance. Holden Caufield is a great character, and I'm a living Holden in some ways.

SteveBooth
Sergeant

Postby SteveBooth » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi Sam!

Re: Your age.

Here's a reality check for you. You don't have to read his books, but check out the story of Christopher Paolini. He was first published when he was 15 (well.. ok.. it was his parents' company.. but.. still), his second book, published by Knopf, sold 420,000 copies in the frist week of printing (a record), and he has sold in excess of two million copies now, I believe... and he turned 20 in 2006.

So.. yea.. I think he's taken pretty seriously. You should be too.

20th Century Fox just spent in excess of a hundred million dollars making a movie of his first book by the way.

Steve

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:06 pm

Welcome! By the way, I'm younger than you. I just turned 18, and I've been at a computer writing (and on paper before I got my computer) since I was 13. Needless to say I've come a long way, but being young doesn't matter.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young..." (Paul to Timothy, I believe)
Don't let those nutcases get you down! Welcome to the forum though! I hope you enjoy it and find it useful, like I have.
Godspeed,
Lynne

dcrre
Private E-1

Postby dcrre » Thu May 04, 2006 1:49 am

see the thing is Sam,I still feel 20, even though when I was twenty years old cell phones were the size of breeze blocks and and ipod was something peas came in. Wouldn't worry in the slightest about people taking you seriously, all of us unpublished writers are on equal footing whether we're 20 or 60. Or 33 (like me :) )

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Thu May 04, 2006 4:09 am

The old farts were probably just jealous. Happens to me all the time. I see someone more talented than me and much younger, makes me want to urinate on their bicycle tires.

Welcome to this forum where you will be treated as an equal; meaning you're now an old fart too.

Return to Introductions