wrong words and pronunciation

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

Jumbie

RE: wrong words and pronunciation

Postby Jumbie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:40 am

Welcome Rob. Good to have you among us.

I'll give you one of my pet peeves. When people use the wrong word. I hear it all the time and it drives me crazy. I have heard more people than I can count say "mute point". It takes everything in me not to slap them upside the head and yell "moot point". So far, I've restrained myself. Hope I can continue to do so. If not, I may be calling for bail money. :)

Talis1
Lieutenant Colonel

RE: wrong words and pronunciation

Postby Talis1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 am

Rob, I hear you. Having worked in editing for nearly ten years now, I've seen all sorts of mangling of the written English language. My husband is one of the worst culprits—unfortunately he just does not have a mind for spelling. It drives me nuts. :)

As for the spoken language...the vast array of dialects and accents across the States fascinates me. We don't have the same in Canada, though there are definite regional differences. In the Maritimes, for example, people emphasize "ar" sounds, as in "I've pARRRked the cARRR." Love it! The southern States accents are wonderful. I remember my first time in Georgia when I was about 14. We stopped at a Ponderosa for lunch and when the waitress left our table, I turned to my mom and said, "Wow! They talk just like they do on TV!!"

I've been told I say "bagel" and "vague" funny (ba-AY-gul, va-AY-gue ??? lol), according to my fellow Ontarians. Maybe it's from growing up in Alberta (aka Albirda). Who knows? :)

Welcome to the boards!

Previous

Return to Introductions