[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Hi from Peru : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Hi from Peru

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Lark
Captain

Hi from Peru

Postby Lark » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 pm

Lark
Captain

Hi from Peru

Postby Lark » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 pm

Actually I'm from Northern Calif. but have lived here in Lima for the past 30-odd years, as an ESL teacher (mostly tutor). For this reason, I tend to be picky on grammar and spelling issues when critiquing something, so I'll ask your forgiveness beforehand in case some of you are irked by this. (I don't pretend to be a know-it-all; occasionally, an English student will correct MY spelling.)

Anyway... I'm interested in poetry-writing, archaeology, astronomy, reading, animals and travel. My Peruvian husband's a retired metallurgical engineer and we have two half-breed grown sons, an old lumpy boxer, a sweet crippled dove and a clownish little blue-headed pionus parrot from the central jungle. I've been writing poetry off and on for many years, some of it being published in online magazines only during the past few.

Glad to have found this place!

Lark

jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: Hi from Peru

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:09 am

kalbzayn
Private E-1

Postby kalbzayn » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:36 pm

Before I read the word parrot, I thought one of your kids was a professional boxer that didn't do very well, and the other a sweet child with a bum leg.

Welcome.

Lark
Captain

Postby Lark » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi Jassiper!

(sent you a email but it bounced, so am repeating it here.)

So your wife's a weaver? There would definitely be a wealth of weavings, both ancient and modern, for her to admire in this country. If you decide to visit sometime, I'd be most happy to meet you both, and of course would invite you to lunch and accompany you to a few craft places and such. My house would not be the best lodging for you to stay overnight, though, because it's about 10 miles away from Lima kind of in the middle of nowhere, for one thing, and more importantly, I'm afraid we're presently stuffed to the gills with tenants, more than ever before. (Our own living space has been considerably reduced after remodelling to allow for several rental units.)

However, I could refer you to a lovely old colonial guesthouse which is in a more central part of the city and therefore much closer to to the craft markets, museums, discotheques and other tourist attractions. This guesthouse is quite cheap: only around $10-12 per person. It's called Home Peru, and several of our friends have stayed there and liked it a lot. Lima in general, though, does not have much character compared to cities and towns in the mountains and jungle, and you'd almost certainly want to visit the tourist meccas of Cusco and Machu Picchu, and maybe Arequipa and Puno as well. Lots of tapestries, wall hangings, etc. sold in town markets, especially on Sundays. I think your wife would be in weaving heaven!

So ... keep me updated about travel plans if and when. Good to hear from you.

Lark

Kalbzayn,

I must say you made me laugh, and it seems I need to follow some of my own advice to beginning writers and write more clearly!

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:20 am

Lark!

Thanks! I was half kidding, but thank you for letting me know about accomodations down there! Wow! Very cheap. We'll probably have to put off our travels for a few years considering that my wife is going to have our second child in August. But, perhaps we'll be able to come for a visit in a few years. I'd like to bring Rachel down for our 10 year anniversary.

Anyway, it's lovely to meet you! I think it's awesome that you live there and that you write such beautiful poetry!

Lark
Captain

Postby Lark » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:54 am

Jassiper,

Accommodations in Lima are by no means ALL that cheap! Charges in some hotels rival those in top-drawer U.S. ones. Home Peru is one of the happy exceptions. ... Well, enjoy your kids while they're little, and we may get to see you later on sometime.

Bildad
Lieutenant

Postby Bildad » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:55 pm

Honey, I'm home! Please let the dog out and turn off the porch light, you do have a porch light don't you? Be nice, don't forget you invited me to join you and Janet.

I look forward to reading some of your poems that you have posted here. I'll start reading in the morning.

Bildad

Return to Introductions