[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
This forum is super boss! : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

This forum is super boss!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
DonnaReed

Postby DonnaReed » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:33 am

DonnaReed

Postby DonnaReed » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:33 am

So glad I stumbled 'pon it

I've spent the last hour randoming clicking onto writings posted for critique

Lots of interesting stuff there...and great comments too!

Perhaps the site should be called WDU
(WritersDigest University)

Amongst other sample writings, I liked the younger brother who was trying to check with older brother to see if Ritchie knew what the heck he was talking about...*smile*

Hey Everybody!...*waving*

call me Donna...

okay, well call me what you like

but call me!

:)

Ellen
Sergeant First Class

RE: This forum is super boss!

Postby Ellen » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:08 am

Welcome, Donna. Post as much as you could, you'll get feedback. I bet you'll love this wonderful forum here.
Ellen

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:14 am

Hey, Donna!

Tell us some more about yourself. What do you write? You're most welcome to post in Critique Central, too. Keep bouncing around. There's plenty to talk about!

JABarnes
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby JABarnes » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:29 am

Hey Donna welcome aboard, hope you have a blast with our fun little family....

DonnaReed

Postby DonnaReed » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Thanks guys

I'll see if I can get up the courage to post some of my writing.

I'd love the critique but I was traumatized a few years ago.

True Story (as God is my witness)

A few years ago, I wrote a letter to a writer who I admired telling her how much I liked her autobiography and I shared about my life and my desire to write about it and asked for any suggestions she could offer. (She was supposed to be a community activist and someone who was very caring about people.)

I shared with her about my family being wealthy when I was very young, my Dad being a hustler, him getting busted and going to prison, and I wrote details about how it changed the course of our (family's) lives.

Never heard from her.

About two years later, a book came out, a very successful novel about a girl who's father was a hustler making lots of money, then he got busted and the family went haywire.

Pretty much exactly what I shared with her about my family.

I was so hurt, I cried and was very, very angry for a very long time. I would visit her website and see folks asking where she got such a great idea for a novel, there was even talk of a movie deal and a sequel.

I was truly devasted and felt so betrayed, disrespected and violated that I had taken time (about five pages or more) to extend love and admiration to her and she was probably simply sitting reading my letter thinking, "Wow! What a great idea for a novel."

Since then, I've heard that it happens much more often than we hear.

BUT and HOWEVER, I've learned a lesson - even great writers that I admire can be low-down and filthy.

If she can live with herself then good for her.

I'm proud to say that I've snapped out of my several years long funk

AND

I'm writing my memoirs.

I'm at the stage now wherein I'm putting my proposal together with some sample chapters.

:)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Your memoir will be a bestseller in today's market.  And the story about the author should be a chapter worth reading!

Welcome here.

I promise I won't steal any of your ideas, though.

... I've been having a great deal of ideas about this young girl who grows up wealthy... ha!ha!ha!  (Hope it's been long enough you can see the humor in my joke!)

DonnaReed

Postby DonnaReed » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:35 pm

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:56 am

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:54 am

Welcome. And before you judge your correspondent too harshly, it is entirely possible that it really was coincidence. Your real life story is exceptional to you, having lived it, but it probably is not an uncommon one in a world of over six billion people.

In truth, I suspect most wealthy families feature both hustling and illegal activities somewhere in their past. You may simply have been the victim of bad timing.

You are a writer, transpose yourself into that author's shoes. You may not be aware of it, but lag time between ideas and publications often exceed eighteen months. Your author may have already had the first draft of that following novel written, (You didn't really say if it was the same writer, but I'll assume it was.)

But imagine the author receiving your letter and thinking, "Oh my God. This poor soul will never believe this." It's why many authors refuse to read submitted material from fans. It makes sense in a way, if you like an author's work, you're going to think up 'suggestions' that follow the same thoughts as that author's characters. What you don't know, is that the author probably has already compiled sketches, notes, maybe entire drafts featuring all of 'your' ideas.

You don't even know for example if your author ever actually read your letter, or whether a secretary read it, or whether no one read it.

So, relax. Take a deep breath. Here, have a nice cup of camomille tea. Sit back. Cookie? Nice day out there isn't it? Now let's discuss you and writing. Welcome to our little house. Now about your fear of critiques and giving away ideas: you could also of course be 100% correct. It was a real bitch and it hurt and you were betrayed, and ...

What to do? Well, I think you're doin' it. Remember, Living Well Is The Best Revenge. Well in our case here, Writing well is.

So, stick your thumb in their eye, sharpen your pencil and jump in here with both feet. (Don't forget to hold your nose, and double up your legs to your chest, we love a big splash.)

Here's your assignment: Go down to the critique forum and write us a short story of five hundred words about how your first novel ended your other author's career.

What do you mean you can't do it? Sure you can. Here, I'll start.

Anna opened yet another reject letter. It was her fortieth this month. They all said the same thing: 'too diminutive of Ms. Reed's latest ...'

See, you can have fun with life.

Oh yes, and just who in the Hell do I think I am, trying to tell you what to do, etc. etc.

Absolutely nobody. Just an opinionated old Irishman from Roanoke, VA. Now, pick up that pen and come on in. We'll help you through the rough waters.

John

Next

Return to Introductions