Introducing Higgins

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Higgins

Introducing Higgins

Postby Higgins » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Let me greet you with a fairly warm: "Hi"!

My name is Higgins, or just call me "Michael" if you wish to do so. I don't really mind. Let me start off by giving you some information on my person. I'm currently 23 years old, and I'm from England, near Edenbridge.

I started writing about 8 months ago. I'm still no good obviously, but I'm hoping to improve my writing by sharing my stuff with you guys. In return, obviously I will be glad enough to comment on your projects. So far I have concentrated mostly on poetry, which I find absolutely fascinating. I have written the odd thing in prose, but most of it has just been garbage so far. But you'll find out soon enough :mrgreen:

Anyway, glad to be here!

Cheers
Higgins

kspendergrass

Re: Introducing Higgins

Postby kspendergrass » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Higgins,

I'm new to this site too, this is my first post actually. :) (I'm going to be a total nerd and ask if Higgins was inspired from Mr. Higgins from My Fair Lady?) Anyway, it's great to "meet" you. Always looking to make new writing friends! =) And poetry is beautiful - sadly I don't have much of a talent for it.

KS
https://twitter.com/KSPendergrass

DANCING DEMONS: Revising

DEAD GIRLS: Word Goal 60-100K.

Find what you love and let it kill you- Henry Charles Bukowski

Smileyface256

Postby Smileyface256 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello, Higgins!
I'm fairly new to this site as well. I've been writing on and off for most of my short life. I had a poetry splurge when I was seventeen but haven't written a verse since; I'm trying my hand at fiction now. It's nice to vicariously meet you. :) I find your diction utterly pleasing! :)
RSH

Higgins

Postby Higgins » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 am

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I really hope we can work together. Glad you enjoy my diction :)

The inspiration for my name comes from two sources:
1. Obviously Henry Higgins from My Fair Lady (or rather the play Pygmalion by Shaw). Brilliant character; I find him very sympathetic although he's not so nice towards the end.
2. My name is Higgs, which is just a variation of the name Higgins. I prefer Higgins though - perhaps I'll change my name accordingly one day.

Cheers
Higgins

gesler0811

Postby gesler0811 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Michael! Glad you're here! I think it goes without saying, if you're looking to improve your story writing skills, just write write write. And read read read. You can also pick up some books on writing, but don't over-do it. I'm a big fan of Othello Bach's "How to Write a Great Story." It was concise, practical, and full of writing exercises to get you going!
Sacred artifacts. Voodoo. Zombified spirit gods. Murderous cultists.
Available in Paperback and eBook Editions!! (nook, Kindle, iTunes)

Return to Introductions