[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
SPANK the CARP - Call for Submissions : Recommended Resources • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

SPANK the CARP - Call for Submissions

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
Editor_SPANK_the_CARP
Private E-1

SPANK the CARP - Call for Submissions

Postby Editor_SPANK_the_CARP » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43 pm

SPANK the CARP is an online Fiction and Poetry website that's growing every month. We’re looking for thought-provoking short stories, flash fiction, and poetry, including shape poetry. Read our Submission Guidelines at www.spankthecarp.com

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: SPANK the CARP - Call for Submissions

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:46 pm

What are your payment terms?

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Well, I've caught a lot of carp, and I make the best garlic dough ball for catching carp you ever saw. Never did think about spanking on of them after I caught it, though. Just catching it seemed punishment enough.

I don't agree with the rant I read when I followed the link. Even if we all are carp in the same pond, we do not all have teh same level of talent, the same level on intelligence, the same level of dedication, or the same work ethic. None of us are fish, but even some fish are smarter than others.

I don't like elitism, either, but the opposite is just as bad, usually worse, and never the least bit realistic. We can't be good at everything, no matter how hard we try. We can't all have talent in the same area, no matter how much we wish it were otherwise. There is no bias with MFA holders, but they do have a higher level of talent than most, and a higher level of dedication, or they would not have an MFA.

"Art" is too often a word used when there is no talent. It's a justification for lack of quality. I created it, it's art, so it must be good. No, probably not. Chances are at least a hundred to one that it's lousy.

"Subjective" is even worse. It's a word people use when they want to say, "My writing is as good as your", even if it reads like an illiterate third grader wrote it. Get "subjective" out of your head. Only good is subjective. Bad stinks on ice, and everyone can smell it except the writer who wrote it, and a few of his closest friends, who probably plug their noses with cotton before reading his work. You can yell "subjective" all day long, but very little in the writing world is subjective. Whether King is better than Koontz is subjective. The fact that ninety-nine percent who try writing have no talent, and never will write anything worth reading, is purely objective.

And you don't pay for your stories, which means you think very little of all the "artists" out there, of the work the sweat to create, even though you have no magazine without them. You also think very little of your chances of actually making anyone buy your magazine. The reason you started this magazine is apparently because you think "artists" should be more than happy to work for free, to let you pay every other cost associated with a magazine, and there are always costs, but not pay them. I may be an "artist", but this does not mean I don't value myself and my work, or that I'll just give it away because someone claims not to believe in elitism.

Editor_SPANK_the_CARP
Private E-1

Postby Editor_SPANK_the_CARP » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Editor_SPANK_the_CARP
Private E-1

Postby Editor_SPANK_the_CARP » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:36 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:37 pm

James, I'm pretty sure "spank the carp" is a euphemism for something your mother said would make you go blind.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:08 am

i fear you're right, drg...

editor...
is your e-zine a freebie, or must folks pay to read it?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Editor_SPANK_the_CARP
Private E-1

Postby Editor_SPANK_the_CARP » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:19 am

Announcing SPANK the CARP’s first POETRY CONTEST - The Clerihew. The contest will be guest judged by accomplished author and artist CB Follett. Deadline is March 1st, 2015. For details visit www.spankthecarp.com.

Ken, Editor

Editor_SPANK_the_CARP
Private E-1

Postby Editor_SPANK_the_CARP » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:20 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:03 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Next

Return to Recommended Resources