[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Creating a timeline : Recommended Resources • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Creating a timeline

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: Creating a timeline

Postby DrG2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:20 am

I remember using a shareware timeliner in an education class I took. You can probably find one.

Mookie. I hope you mean 40 weeks, not 10 months.

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:12 pm

I was in this situation and started researching timeline applications and online resources. Then I realized that I didn't need anything fancy. That is, I didn't need to be able to slide things on the timeline or calculate times between events.

I use the Scrivener application, which I recommend BTW, and just created a corkboard entry for every event. It has worked well:

I can even view it at the same time I'm editing a scene:

I can move them around, or edit the date. That's all I need.

Concerning Scrivener, it seemed overly complex when I started, partly because my main focus was on creating an ebook file, but I'm a convert now, and for planning and organizing fiction, it's da bomb.
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Thank you for the super screenshots, PianoAl, but I really don't think Scrivener would work for me on this particular novel, given the number of characters I have and the wide span of years. At the moment, I'm writing individual timelines for essential characters which I will then amalgamate. I'll see where I go from there.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:50 pm

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:06 pm

Anthemion Software is the best I've seen for timeline-intensive projects. Free unlimited trial (with content-limits). $40 to own.

I think the actual product name is called 'Writer's Cafe' (stupid name, I admit). And it also has a lot of stuff which is irrelevant and unnecessary (but there are some goodies like thesaurus, name-generator, scrapbook).

Anyway the reason the timeline feature is so good is that it shows multiple timelines at once, arranged any which way you prefer. Colored story-cards which (when clicked) take you to the story section in the actual written product.

It's very like YWriter in the way it stores info. Good at organizing numerous settings, characters, plot-points, relationships, motivations.

Somewhat like FD too, but still not as good as FD.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Recommended Resources