[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing software? : Recommended Resources • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing software?

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
RKMW
Private E-1

Writing software?

Postby RKMW » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 pm

OK, I'm really curious... what is everyone using for their tools?

I'm old-school, I admit. I use a word processing program and keep my notes in a spreadsheet and all my research goes into a digital folder. I do use Dropbox so I can access everything remotely from whatever computer I happen to be on. I've been doing it this way for over 20 years, and though digital access has made things a lot easier, the basic system hasn't changed much.

That said, I'm in the middle of a very complicated novel that has a very fast pace, lots of moving parts and a lot of details I need to be able to call up at a moment's notice. The old method is becoming a bit cumbersome.

I've looked at various software and systems, including Scrivener, Liquid Story Binder, Hiveword, LitLift, Yarny, yWriter, WriteWay, etc, etc, etc. They all pretty much have the same problem - they require that you break your writing into blocks. While that's great for moving and rearranging text bits, it's just not the way I write, and every time I've tried, the mechanics of it have gotten in the way of the actual writing.

What I'd really like is a system that allows me to just write, then add chapters or scene divisions later. Same thing with characters, locations, events, etc. I'd like to be able to tag them in the text, so they're easy to find and reference later, but I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing to go spend a lot of time on a character outline.

I would appreciate any thoughts, experiences or advice. Thank you!

The whole thing either needs to be cloud-based, or able to be loaded on a flash drive (ala Liquid Story Binder) so I can access it from anywhere.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Writing software?

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 pm

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 am

I've started using Microsoft OneNote for side notes. I can create anchor points in the notes, then hyperlink to the notes in MS Word. Since I'm not a detailed outliner, it works for me.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

macmini706
Private E-1

Postby macmini706 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:35 am

You can use Xode for develop App IOS

robjvargas
Captain

Re:

Postby robjvargas » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:48 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:38 pm

I use Word and Notebrowser, just because I find Notesbrowser easier to use than OneNote. But OneNote links directly to Word, and should do everything you need. I really can't think of any software that does exactly what you want, but these come close.

jamesshaffer85
Private E-1

Postby jamesshaffer85 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:24 am

Good old Microsoft Word serves most of my needs. By the way. every new upgrade make sit more and more sophisticated. Google is also my good friend - I ask the search engine the kinds of questions I would be embarrassed even to say aloud :D I do hope Google will keep it secret - only between me and them)
meeting highest standards.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:22 am

I used only a small fraction of what "dedicated" writing programs like and provide to writers. I just don't plan my works as extensively as both of those programs allow. But both are very good programs in my experience. If you outline and plan out your work.

Scrivener is considered the industry standard. Ywriter is free, but with not quite so many bells and whistles. And if you're doing , there's like a 50% off reward for completing the 50,000 words at NaNo.

Skyes
Private E-1

Postby Skyes » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Google Writer here, since it is stored automatically on Google Drive, so I don't have to keep making backups and afraid of loosing the work. It's aways on the cloud :)

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Next

Return to Recommended Resources