Novel Writing Software

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
Piccoro
Private E-1

Re: Novel Writing Software

Postby Piccoro » Tue May 09, 2017 12:13 am

Just wanted to contribute something.

I use Zim Wiki to collect info about charcs, areas I don't know of , or any other details and separate them into sections. It works like oneNote but far more simple and quicker (far too simple for many maybe).

http://zim-wiki.org/

I find it extremely useful when i need to collect so much info that I need to separate into tons of sections and sub pages.

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:29 pm

I found a better software im using to collect info and for research , I use one Note mostly but this is great for writing: you can add icons and format your info in a tree like structure.

http://theguide.sourceforge.net/

Here's what it looks like:
https://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/theguide/screenshots/108661.jpg/1

loving it and its completely free (open source).

MPhillip
Private E-1

Postby MPhillip » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Last edited by MPhillip on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Don't know if I responded to this before (if I did it's disappeared)...

Maybe we need to establish a difference between "writing software" and "software for writing". The first would be the whole AI thing, the second software we (people) use to get our words down. ;)

Personally, I just use the free version of Atlantis Nova, and a variety of online and off-line sources for research. But I don't like a lot of bells and whistles - I don't like anything where I spend more time learning how to use than I would using it :D So I definitely am a KISS type person. :)

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:50 pm

[quote="ostarella"]Don't know if I responded to this before (if I did it's disappeared)...

Maybe we need to establish a difference between "writing software" and "software for writing". The first would be the whole AI thing, the second software we (people) use to get our words down. ;)

Personally, I just use the free version of Atlantis Nova, and a variety of online and off-line sources for research. But I don't like a lot of bells and whistles - I don't like anything where I spend more time learning how to use than I would using it :D So I definitely am a KISS type person. :)[/quote]

Sometimes we cant see our posts. Go figure. But they are there and others can still read them.
Not a feature just another bug.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm

What software is best for writing depends on you and how you like to work.

I use a very old copy of MS word. If I got another one it would be libre office. Free and like MS office. I would also switch to a linux version like ubuntu instead of sticking with Windoze now that it is just a social media platform that steals all your personal information to use and sell. Read the TOS!!

I find that outlining, brainstorming, mind mapping, and similar things work better for me on paper than on a computer.
And I also use a very old copy of excel, which I find excellent for documenting the organization/'outline' after I have it. Pretty sure libre office includes a spreadsheet too in the free package.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 pm

The one thing, I think, keeping Libre Office from overtaking MS Word is Word's collaboration features, the ability to mark a document up so that the author of a document can either accept or reject the changes, and add to any commentary. Editors and publishers have become used to these functions in MS Word, and LibreOffice doesn't handle that well.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 pm

[quote="robjvargas"]The one thing, I think, keeping Libre Office from overtaking MS Word is Word's collaboration features, the ability to mark a document up so that the author of a document can either accept or reject the changes, and add to any commentary. Editors and publishers have become used to these functions in MS Word, and LibreOffice doesn't handle that well.[/quote]

Good point. But for personal use and ease of local backups instead of being forced to use the cloud I am planning to move to libre.
That is also motivated by moving to some linux version probably ubuntu because windows has become too invasive of privacy per their TOS.

Previous

Return to Recommended Resources