Magazines that pay for short stories

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
unikorna

Magazines that pay for short stories

Postby unikorna » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I have made a list with some online magazines that pay for short stories, some of them even poetry. The list is here http://unikorna.blogspot.ro/2012/09/getting-paid-for-writing-short-stories.html
If you know other ezines that call for submissions and, hopefully, pay the work, feel free to mention them here. I am sure it can be of great help to many aspiring writers out there.

atwhatcost

Re: Magazines that pay for short stories

Postby atwhatcost » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:23 am

Have you checked out those links? The first one was good, the second is a dead link, the third seems to want to see how far it can push before becoming a scam, the fourth doesn't do fiction, and the fifth charges just to read submissions. It seems like the blogger is just starting to work for money and has come up with a list that reflects that. She doesn't yet know that charging a fee to read is a good way to pay the few authors they do select. With enough submissions, it might even pay for printing cost.

I think I will go for that first site offered, so thanks, but the rest wasn't worth the effort of trying to find the gems in the pile of coal.
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 am

duotrope is the best source for this kind of info...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

lesliemunnelly

Postby lesliemunnelly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:45 am

Ditto Mamma's advice. Two out of my three acceptances this summer were from submissions to Duotrope-inspired publications.

unikorna

Postby unikorna » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:16 pm

atwhatcost wrote:Have you checked out those links? The first one was good, the second is a dead link, the third seems to want to see how far it can push before becoming a scam, the fourth doesn't do fiction, and the fifth charges just to read submissions. It seems like the blogger is just starting to work for money and has come up with a list that reflects that. She doesn't yet know that charging a fee to read is a good way to pay the few authors they do select. With enough submissions, it might even pay for printing cost.

I think I will go for that first site offered, so thanks, but the rest wasn't worth the effort of trying to find the gems in the pile of coal.

Wow...my intentions were kindly meant. It took me days to select these links...and I thought they would also come in handy for other ...aspiring authors. I don't judge those who charge fees for reading manuscripts...I was merely trying to discover a way, a chance for those who cannot afford to pay these fees.

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:35 am

No writer should submit stories to a magazine that charges reading fees. Money should always flow to the writer, never, ever away.

A magazine that has to charge reading fees isn't worth selling to, and the claim that it allows the magazine to pay other writers is nonsense. If a magazine can't pay writers without charging reading fees, that magazine needs to improve or fold. If there's no money to pay writers it's because that magazine isn't good enough to attract buyers.

There are thousands of magazines that pay writers, and that do not charge reading fees.

atwhatcost

Postby atwhatcost » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:40 am

James A. Ritchie wrote:No writer should submit stories to a magazine that charges reading fees. Money should always flow to the writer, never, ever away.

A magazine that has to charge reading fees isn't worth selling to, and the claim that it allows the magazine to pay other writers is nonsense. If a magazine can't pay writers without charging reading fees, that magazine needs to improve or fold. If there's no money to pay writers it's because that magazine isn't good enough to attract buyers.

There are thousands of magazines that pay writers, and that do not charge reading fees.

Are you aware you just wrote that on Writer's Digest forum? The same Writer's Digest that charges writers a fee to compete in contests?

I agree with the sentiment, but Writer's Digest is also worth buying, despite that it charges for submission. ;)
Lynn

atwhatcost

Postby atwhatcost » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 am

unikorna wrote:
atwhatcost wrote:Have you checked out those links? The first one was good, the second is a dead link, the third seems to want to see how far it can push before becoming a scam, the fourth doesn't do fiction, and the fifth charges just to read submissions. It seems like the blogger is just starting to work for money and has come up with a list that reflects that. She doesn't yet know that charging a fee to read is a good way to pay the few authors they do select. With enough submissions, it might even pay for printing cost.

Wow...my intentions were kindly meant. It took me days to select these links...and I thought they would also come in handy for other ...aspiring authors. I don't judge those who charge fees for reading manuscripts...I was merely trying to discover a way, a chance for those who cannot afford to pay these fees.

Yeah, sorry about that. It did sound cocky, didn't it? And, if that's your blog, had I known I would have PMed you, instead of writing it for all to see.

I too spent months searching the web for writing opportunities. It looks like that list too often. I've come to the point of following my favorite short story writers, finding out where they post their stories, and then collecting that list, so I can join the ranks of selling stories. It's easier then starting from scratch.

As for Duotrope? They lose me come January, when they want to charge, too. Being broke and wanting to be published has its advantages. I can't afford submission fees nor membership fees, so I'm learning the difference between wanted and needed. ;)
Lynn

Return to Recommended Resources