RoughDraft Software for Screenplays & Stage Plays

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
Roseblood
Private E-2

Postby Roseblood » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:08 pm

Roseblood
Private E-2

Postby Roseblood » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:08 pm

Screenplays and stage plays require a specific format, full of special margins within the copy. It is especially a p.i.t.a. to type a screenplay with proper placement of characters' names, the dialogue and description. RoughDraft is a basic program that makes writing screenplays and stage plays MUCH easier on the writer.

I'm no computer geek, so I may not say this correctly, but I think what it does is pre-format special macros that interface with Microsoft Word. No, it won't do EVERYTHING, and it certainly won't help you write a formula movie...something this rebel finds a bonus, anyhow. However, it is a freeware program and ya can't beat that price! If you enjoy writing screenplays, this will make your life easier. Check it out at http://www.salsbury.f2s.com/rd.htm and thank Mr. Salsbury for creating this for us.

Lord Lightning
Private E-1

RE: RoughDraft Software for Screenplays & Stage Plays

Postby Lord Lightning » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:38 pm

If the salsbury link will not work for you then you could go to the BBC site with US and UK formats for TV, Film, Theatre, Novels, Comics, etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/script ... mats.shtml

Roseblood
Private E-2

Postby Roseblood » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks, Lord Lightning! The link I put in wouldn't work for me just now, either. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I went to check out Script Smart. Do you use it yourself? If so, do you know how it compares with RoughDraft in use?

By the way, you guys can Google "RoughDraft" and get a link that works.

Lord Lightning
Private E-1

Postby Lord Lightning » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:12 am

Hi Roseblood,

I use Screenwriter Pro 6 for Screenwriting (soon to be released - MacOSX and Windows)

and

Scrivener for all other writing including draft development up to first draft for screenplays. It uses the BBC (UK and USA) standard formats for screenplays, theatre plays etc.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/ [forums]

and

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... .php?t=715 [download - Mac OSX only]

writerchyck
Sergeant

Postby writerchyck » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:12 am

I got lost somewhere here LOL.  Which program is best for formatting stage plays? About how much do these programs run?

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:22 am

I use Script Smart.  It's free, it's a template that works through Word, so there's never a compatibility issue as there sometimes is with RoughDraft, and it handles stage plays, as well as movie, and various TV formats, either US or UK.

JRhodes
Sergeant

Postby JRhodes » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:24 am

I use Final Draft 7. I can have a copy on my PC at home, and on my Mac that I take on the road. Good formatting, lots of quick keys, some extra features like quick name lookup, and a voice over that will mechanically read your script. Creepy, but easier than finding a few friends to do it just to check flow.

Return to Recommended Resources