[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
A Kindle : Recommended Resources • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

A Kindle

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
Piccoro
Private E-1

Re: A Kindle

Postby Piccoro » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:26 pm

I feel scammed. I recently bought two books on amazon but I can't read them on the web. Apparently you need to install their app and right now I can't install anything on mine (its a chromebook). Maybe it's just these two particular books? I can read my past purchases with no problems though.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't buy ebooks via Amazon, but I have seen that most of them do offer the option of downloading to your PC. But if you bought an ebook and can't read it without downloading their software, I'd demand a refund and go elsewhere. (In the interest of honesty, I usually only use Amazon to find what I'm looking for and then go elsewhere to buy. :oops: )

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 am

Amazon locks their ebooks to their Kindle app. @Piccoro: I thought Kindle's app was available via the Google Play Store. I know it's in the Chrome store as a plugin for the browser. I'd look there for Kindle and see if that let's you read the books.

Having said that, I don't use Amazon for anything that stores to me hard drive. For exactly the reason that they want to lock you down to their "stuff." That's also why I won't ever buy an iPhone. I'll go without rather than let myself be tied down like that, even in a good system (and I admit that Apple's system is a good one). So only "hard" gear for me, Amazon. Until the day you let ME decide how I want to read my ebooks, no digital dollars for you.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Cloud from the app store doesn't work either. The only way i can get access to the recent books ive purchased is through a kindle app or using their software on a real computer (nothing against chromebooks). I used to be able to read everything from the web alone as I had the option "read now" but I no longer do:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2wgg9ic.png

as you can see in that pic. Again perhaps are these two recent books only or maybe amazon has really changed the way they handle their kindle books now. Luckily you can refund but they should let ppl know anyway.

yellowducky
Private E-1

Postby yellowducky » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:51 am

Well I no you can get a kidel with apps along with the books :)

Previous

Return to Recommended Resources