[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Proof reading and corrector service : Recommended Resources • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Proof reading and corrector service

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
rigo_nvl
Private E-1

Proof reading and corrector service

Postby rigo_nvl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:22 am

Can you suggest a good proof reader / corrector service by any chance?
I believe that it's not about typos in 2016 anymore. But the misused words, the overlooked grammar rules and so on since we are writing a poop unicorns and rainbows load of words after each other and it's inevitable to make small mistakes. Or bug ones.
For me, it's about five erotic thriller short stories. More like erotic than thriller.
I have found for $100 also for $600. It's not really about money but to get a good service for the investment. But I'm not rich... (I'm a writer how the fudge I would be?)
Thank you!
r

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Proof reading and corrector service

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:14 am

My personal favorite is free - read your work out loud.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

rigo_nvl
Private E-1

Postby rigo_nvl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:24 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:35 pm

You will never get perfect, or even close. Put the ms away for a month or so, then proofread again, out loud. After that, you should be ready to query/submit.

The only time I would pay for any such proofreading services would be if I were planning to self-publish, and even then I don't think I'd be willing to do so. Otherwise, why pay for something that a) you should be able to do adequately yourself and b) will be looked at by professional editors at the agency/publisher?
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Correcting bad grammar, and all other problems, will not fix poor writing. Either you can correct these things yourself, or you're probably a pretty poor writer. Being a good editor is part of being a good writer, and you can get everything perfect. You may not get it perfect, but you should certainly be able to get it so close that you won't leave one error in a thousand. Even this is pretty liberal. If you can get just one sentence perfect, you should be able to get every sentence perfect.

Return to Recommended Resources