[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Random Subject to Write About : Recommended Resources • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Random Subject to Write About

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
quoteslogy
Private E-1

Random Subject to Write About

Postby quoteslogy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:12 am

The aim of these writing prompts is to encourage freewriting. This is writing without stopping and without censoring. Writing in this way can help to break through blocks like self-criticism and fear of failure, to find your own, unique voice.
Choose a prompt and decide how long to write - ten minutes is a good length of time to begin with. Try to do one freewriting exercise a day.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Re: Random Subject to Write About

Postby Loren Killdeer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:59 pm

I don't think this is on the right section, sir, but thank you for the advise.
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:10 am

You're right, Loren. I'll move this to a more appropriate forum.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:47 pm

I never have understood the point of such exercises. The best way to learn how to do anything is by actually doing it. Freewriting may be writing, but it is not working on a story that is going to sell, and I don't think it helps solve the many-faceted problems that a story involves. Freewriting is fun, but it strikes me as an excuse not to plant butt in chair and get the story told. Time is incredibly precious. When it runs out, we're gone. None of us knows how much time is in our account, but I always assume it's about to run dry. I'd rather use every minute that remains doing something useful, something that gets the job done.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:28 pm

I agree with robjvargas. Students need plenty of these activities in order to get them using their creativity for a larger project.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Yes, sometimes doing an exercise or a spot of throwaway writing just for the hell of it - i.e. not with the single-minded goal of focusing on publishable work only - can shake up the cobwebs and lead to fresh ideas or a way to break through a block on your main work. Perhaps for full time writers that would be harder to justify, but even so, life can't be all about optimal productivity.

I was chatting about life with a Muslim colleague at work once, and the topic of feeling guilty about wasting time on leisure rather than being disciplined about channelling one's gifts came up. Now I'm not sure if this was a saying from his faith or not, but what he said struck me as very wise: "Whatever you choose to do, that's what you're meant to be doing."
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:34 pm

I'm not interested in "writing exercises" that I wouldn't have any chance of getting something publishable out of. But to me, prompts or free writing and getting a publishable story aren't mutually exclusive at all. I often use prompts when I'm stuck on what to write about. Or I'll free write a couple of pages then look for a story starter within what I've written.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:43 am

I've used a prompt once to get be back in the swing of things. It was suggested by one of our members. When I started the prompt I thought it would just be a simple paragraph that wouldn't go any further. I was wrong about that. I decided to take that simple prompt and make something more of it. Sometimes doing simple things like a prompt can turn out to be a short story, novelette, novella, and novel. You never know what you might come up with until you sit down and start writing. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Return to Recommended Resources