AWAI? Is this a scam?

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
James A. Ritchie

Re: AWAI? Is this a scam?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54 am

Lew wrote:There's a Rush song "Something for Nothing" and there is one lyric that simply states "You don't get something for nothing, you can't have freedom for free"

So everything costs something, and paying for whatever course or book you're interested in learning from is the price of admission. 8-)

Which in no way means that AWAI isn't a scam. Yes, any course costs something, and you often get what you pay for, but this does NOT mean that everything you decide to pay for is worth the cost. AWAI is not good because it charges. If it's good, it's because what it charges is worth the cost. I don't believe it is.

This does not mean it's a scam, but I can think of at least two dozen curses worth infinitely more, and that cost less.

I've taken many courses that charged me a good deal, but all were taught by true experts in the field, and from what I can tell, this is NOT the case with AWAI. There are certainly far better experts out there, and they charge farm, far less. Many, in fact, have much more information, and much better information, on their blogs and websites, and at no charge.

And AWAI does not teach anything that isn't taught in school.

AWAI may not be a scam, but this does not mean it's worth the price of admission.

I really do not mean this to be rude in any way, but you would think that any course dealing with writing would first make certain the writer knows how to use basic punctuation, primarily meaning how to use the comma correctly. This has been a prerequisite with every course I've taken. Apparently, AWAI thinks otherwise.

robjvargas

Postby robjvargas » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Lew wrote:If you've never paid for a course that's supposed to teach you "something" then obviously you've never taken a college course because they are be no means free. And of course there are several books that teach the principals of copywriting, some written by AWAI member Bob Bly, but again even those books cost dollars to read so what are we really talking about here folks?

There's a Rush song "Something for Nothing" and there is one lyric that simply states "You don't get something for nothing, you can't have freedom for free"

So everything costs something, and paying for whatever course or book you're interested in learning from is the price of admission. 8-)

Colleges are accredited by organizations that depend on accuracy for the value of their accreditation.

What organization accredited AWAI?

Besides which, yes, colleges *do* offer some courses at no charge.

So what was being discussed, seven years ago, was an organization that promised the sky and showed no indication that this was realistic or even truthful.
My Site: Image
Social: Image Image Image

gunny

Postby gunny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:34 pm

what is AWAI?

pls

Postby pls » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:33 pm

gunny wrote:what is AWAI?

Please read the entire thread for the answer, gunny.

cynfranks

Postby cynfranks » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Okay, I'm going to be very careful here because it was something like this that caused my parting of the ways with Writer's Digest 20 years ago.

I'm a blogger. I write a cooking blog. Many of my writing friends are also bloggers. I have one who takes blogging courses and has purchased blogging "lessons" very similar to what you are describing for copywriting.

My blog gets more hits and makes twice as much money (about a $1 per month) as hers and she started before me. Why? Well, she got pulled into this "blogging school," that teaches how to brand your blog and increase your visibility. In reality what it does is sells you hosting services and gets you to shill for the school. The students all guest blog on each other's blogs. Get it?

How did I learn about blogging? Common sense and reading the free blog on how to have a successful blog on Blogger.

My friend thought she was doing me a big favor one day by giving me a copy of one of the books from a teacher of the blogging school. There was nothing in it that was not covered better on Blogger.

Writer's Digest publishes some of the best books on copywriting. There is one that is a collection of ads with the writer's talking about how they created it. It's a gold mine. I think it's called, The Copywriter's Bible. I'm certain if you look, you can find the information for free.

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:09 am

This thread started in 2007. It's only recent again because of a potential spammer. I think it should be locked. If someone really wants to bring the topic back up feel free.

Previous

Return to Recommended Resources