[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Has anyone tried Fiction Master, by Sol Stein? : Recommended Resources • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Has anyone tried Fiction Master, by Sol Stein?

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
Mollys Mum
Private E-1

Postby Mollys Mum » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 am

Mollys Mum
Private E-1

Postby Mollys Mum » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 am

It's a software program for writers that's been out for some time. I ask because I recently unearthed notes from a novel I started about 13 years ago when I was using Fiction Master on a PC. It (and the PC) are long gone--I use a mac now--but the stuff I produced was decent, so I am half tempted to try the software again. Forgive me if this has already been discussed--I got nowhere trying to Search it here, and can't find any independent reviews online, which is a little suspicious.

Thanks.

G-Girl
Captain

Re: Has anyone tried Fiction Master, by Sol Stein?

Postby G-Girl » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:16 pm

I didn't realize it had been around that long. If it's the FictionMaster made by the people who created Writepro, I've never used it, but I've also never seen anything but excellent reviews of it.

P.S. Did you notice the thread pinned to the top of the screen about the type of software you use for writing--you'll find more opinions than you could ever need or want up there! ;+}

Sascha
Private E-1

RE: Has anyone tried Fiction Master, by Sol Stein?

Postby Sascha » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:29 am

I have read Sol Stein's book "Stein on Writing" which in my opinion is - together with Stephen Kings "On Writing" - _the_ best book on the craft of writing out there. However, I have no experience with his software at all, but I would assume it helps you applying the advice in his book to your own writing. I would be curious to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Mollys Mum
Private E-1

Postby Mollys Mum » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:33 am

Well, I went ahead and bought Fiction Master and another of Stein's programs, FirstAid for Writers, a hefty investment for a non-wage earning spouse, but hope springs eternal! GRIN. I am going to have to dig out my old mac to run them on, as the new intel macs don't support the Classic platform any more. Wil keep you guys posted. I too have Stein on Writing and it's one of my very favorites. There is so much about the man and his teachings that I relate to, but I can't find any recent information on him. He would be well into his eighties by now, so perhaps is not doing well. :-(

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 am

Just be carfeful with the software. No matter who makes it, so-called "writing software" usually doesn't work out very well. It's often called "The best way to finish a novel, but the worst way to finish a publishable novel."

Susan
General

Postby Susan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Yeah, I agree with James. I think a good word processing program is about the only type of writing program I need.

Mollys Mum
Private E-1

Postby Mollys Mum » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:41 am

wondo
Colonel

Postby wondo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:33 am

I use a text editor called TextPad. It is a free program. The program was developed for building web pages, but I like to use it for the initial draft of the novel or short stories. The main reason for this is that you can have several documents open in the same window and easily navigate between them. It saves the documents as plain texts. (or html if you are building web pages). You can save the open documents as a workspace, allowing you to easily open all the documents at once with one click of the mouse. I use the main document as the story page. The other pages I can use to make notes as I write, keep track of characters, places, etc. When the novel or story is finished you can close it and open it with Word to edit and format. It has a spell checker and a word count function. The main advantage over Word is the ability to keep all your notes easily accessable as you write. Thus you have a nice neat work space with all your notes right where you need them and when finished a document that can be opened by Word and formatted the way you want it.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:42 am

Next

Return to Recommended Resources