SPANK the CARP - Call for Submissions

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
RobTheThird
Private First Class

Re: SPANK the CARP - Call for Submissions

Postby RobTheThird » Thu May 03, 2018 8:11 am

@MikePhillip:
I don't have a problem with contests or with magazines that offer only publication.

My problem is with ventures and organizations that act like "free" is a synonym for "I don't need to follow rules or etiquette."

They might not be commercial ventures. Writers Digest *is*. Posting about one's product, free or otherwise, is advertising. WD has rules for what to advertise and how to do it.

If an organization won't respect that etiquette, what chance do *I* stand if we come to a disagreement?

Just as they have a right to judge I'm a good fit for their product, I have a right to judge whether their practices would be to my benefit.

If that's negative, then yeah, I have negative things to say. But I don't think expecting professional behavior is all that unreasonable.

MikePhillip
Private E-2

Postby MikePhillip » Thu May 03, 2018 3:29 pm

RobTheThird wrote:
> @MikePhillip:
> I don't have a problem with contests or with magazines that offer only
> publication.
>
> My problem is with ventures and organizations that act like
> "free" is a synonym for "I don't need to follow rules or
> etiquette."
>
> They might not be commercial ventures. Writers Digest *is*. Posting about
> one's product, free or otherwise, is advertising. WD has rules for what to
> advertise and how to do it.
>
> If an organization won't respect that etiquette, what chance do *I* stand
> if we come to a disagreement?
>
> Just as they have a right to judge I'm a good fit for their product, I have
> a right to judge whether their practices would be to my benefit.
>
> If that's negative, then yeah, I have negative things to say. But I don't
> think expecting professional behavior is all that unreasonable.

At least one Admin/Moderator has posted in the thread, yet it is hasn't been removed or locked. One might also note that there are other threads announcing contests at other websites, as well, and none of them have been removed. The only logical conclusion could be that STC and the others do not violate WD's rules concerning advertising. Perhaps complaints about advertising should be forwarded via the "Report this post" button (upside down triangle with an exclamation point at the top right corner of each post).

I'll be honest - I don't see anything unprofessional about STC's posts, their responses to questions, or their method of doing business. The editor of that e-zine has been nothing but courteous in every response he's made. On the other hand, I've seen, in the WD forum, posts in which members advertise competing web forums in every comment they post. Could easily be considered unprofessional - and spam, to boot. How did the Bard put it - "The lady doth protest too much... ". Yet, the Administrators and Moderators have not stopped the practice, so who am I to say it's not OK here?

Perhaps, rather than finding fault with a particular post, it should be reported. Doing so keeps any disagreement or argument from exploding into a flame fight, and those give the entire forum a huge collective black eye. Looking back over many posts in many of the forums here, I don't think technical problems are the only reasons membership, and activity by current members, has decline so drastically.

RobTheThird
Private First Class

Postby RobTheThird » Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 am

@MikePhillips:

You presume an awful lot that is not in evidence here.

Nowhere did I say that I speak for WD.

I don't claim to know what goes on in the proverbial back office. I know that I once got caught doing 75 in a 55MPH zone. When the office saw I was on an empty highway less than a mile from my house, and that I owned up to my error, I didn't get a ticket. No enforcement does not mean that a violation didn't take place.

Let's add another presumption since we're already up to four or five. This behavior violates no actual rule of the forums. That does not mean it's not discourteous, nor perhaps unprofessional.

Flame fight? I posted my opinion of the ACTION, not the contest. I posted my response to the behavior. And, besides, you don't know whether I did or did not report it.

You don't see it. That's fine. I do.

MikePhillip
Private E-2

Postby MikePhillip » Fri May 04, 2018 10:59 am

RobTheThird wrote:
> @MikePhillips:

And MikePhillip responded (without misspelling anyone's name :lol: ): To keep the fight out of this thread because it has escalated beyond issues of the original post and comments, a new thread has been taken outside to the TAKE IT OUTSIDE forum to continue this food fight at http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=279880

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri May 04, 2018 11:01 am

Too many of us remember a certain troll. I hope we can keep personal disagreements off the forums. Either take it to PM or just drop it. Not taking sides - but this sort of thing is NOT helpful.
"The trick of the fiction writer is the beautiful lie..." Thomas Fox Averill

aka shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://shadowwalker.info/home.html

Previous

Return to Recommended Resources