Good Editor Services

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
Kage Kazumi

Good Editor Services

Postby Kage Kazumi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:44 pm

I know many writer's say it is good to edit your own stuff, but if truth be told I will not see everything and may skip over it. So I was curious if any one had any recommended sites that offer editing services for a fairly decent price (novels, short stories, articles, essays, non-fiction, etc)?

Thanks in advanced.

v/Respectfully,
Kage Kazumi

James A. Ritchie

Re: Good Editor Services

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 am

If you're self-publishing, you may need an editor service. Otherwise, you must be able to edit your own work. It doesn't matter if you miss some little thing here or there. This is why publishers have editors they pay, rather than charging the writer.

I can't suggest a specific site for a number of reasons, but for self-publishing, just make sure the "editor" really has copy editor experience, and you get what you pay for. Don't shop for a decent price, shop for a copy editor with a ton of experience, and professional level recommendations.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 pm

as one who provides such services, i have to warn you that whatever you pay [and good ones don't come cheap!], it will be money you have little to no chance of recouping...

so be sure you can afford to consider what you pay to be money dropped down a bottomless hole and also that you can accept the fact it will not guarantee your ms will be taken on by an agent or publisher...

i make sure the occasional client i take on can justify the money spent as providing not only the editing/rewriting, but most importantly, as compensation for what the process will teach them, resulting in [hopefully] their becoming better writers by the time we're done...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

DrG2

Postby DrG2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 pm

mammamaia wrote:as one who provides such services, i have to warn you that whatever you pay [and good ones don't come cheap!], it will be money you have little to no chance of recouping...

That's probably true, for the average case. I have noticed that there is a correlation: the self-published stuff I've looked at has done better if the publication is pretty clean. So, I suspect that for some people, there is a positive financial outcome for editing. I further suspect it would be most influential for writers who are good story-tellers but have some obvious grammar problems that crop up repeatedly.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 am

DrG2 wrote:
mammamaia wrote:as one who provides such services, i have to warn you that whatever you pay [and good ones don't come cheap!], it will be money you have little to no chance of recouping...

That's probably true, for the average case. I have noticed that there is a correlation: the self-published stuff I've looked at has done better if the publication is pretty clean. So, I suspect that for some people, there is a positive financial outcome for editing. I further suspect it would be most influential for writers who are good story-tellers but have some obvious grammar problems that crop up repeatedly.

...'positive financial outcome' would have to = recouping the editing fees from sales of the book... and few [if any] self-pubbed books will sell enough copies to equal the cost of a good editor...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

gesler0811

Postby gesler0811 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:39 am

So then the irony of the situation is that the writers who have the greatest need to hire an editor (self-published) also have the least chance of getting the money back that they spend for said editor?
Image Image
LINE OF SIGHT: zombies, voodoo, and artifacts: Urban Fantasy with a New Orleans Flair!!! (99 Cent Special)
DRURY MANOR: VOLUME 1 (FREE!) - Axe murders, ghosts, and mystery
http://www.eslermedia.com/blog

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 am

yup!... one of the sad facts of life in the writer's world...

gesler0811

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Just wonderful :D

Something else I've been wondering about: do all editors look for the same things, or are there different kinds of editors? For instance, I am a bit of a grammar, spelling, and sentence structure nut. Would I be able to offer my experience with editing the work of others from a purely mechanical standpoint? Or do all editors also evaluate the plot, pacing, characterization, etc. ?
Image Image
LINE OF SIGHT: zombies, voodoo, and artifacts: Urban Fantasy with a New Orleans Flair!!! (99 Cent Special)
DRURY MANOR: VOLUME 1 (FREE!) - Axe murders, ghosts, and mystery
http://www.eslermedia.com/blog

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 am

there is a variety of editing services offered by professionals... you can google for explanations of each level...

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab= ... 89&bih=366

you'd have to be very good at it, to get people to pay you and to compete with the jillions of existing service providers...

Alienscifi

Postby Alienscifi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 am

Do you know any services for ghostwriting?

Next

Return to Recommended Resources