Writers Reference Library

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
RalphWalker

Writers Reference Library

Postby RalphWalker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:57 am

Hi All
On
I have been slowly expanding my reference library both with examples of great writing and with good references for the various parts of the craft of writing. This holiday I was given a copy of 'Several short sentences about writing' by Verylyn Kinkenborg and I thought now was as good a time as any to see what else might be out there. Below is my short list of go to writing references. If you have others to recommend or add to the list please comment.

Cheers
Ralph

The Elements of Style - Strunk and White
    Webster's Dictionary
    Roget's New Thesaurus
    A Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms - Devlin

Creative Nonfiction - Gerard
    On Writing, A memoir of the craft - King
    Several short sentences about writing - Klinkenborg

Beautiful Evidence - Tufte (all of Tufte's books are great references for anyone including graphics with their work)
    Draw with your eyes closed: The art of the art assignment (great exercises for both writers and artists)

Protecting your #1 Asset - Lechter

Oldtimer

Re: Writers Reference Library

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:27 am

You could add some online references, like William Shunn's Proper Manuscript Format.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 am

i could have sworn i added the useful online resources i keep handy in my favorites menu, but my post has disappeared!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:08 pm

mammamaia wrote:i could have sworn i added the useful online resources i keep handy in my favorites menu, but my post has disappeared!

So did mine. This has happened three or four times in the past week.

stscam

Postby stscam » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 am

I know that Roget's is considered the standard, but have you tried Chambers Thesaurus? It's British, but I think it's better organized.

Return to Recommended Resources