[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How do I find an Agent? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How do I find an Agent?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
kianadanial
Private E-1

How do I find an Agent?

Postby kianadanial » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 am

I have completed the first draft of my book. I have an idea about the publishers who may be interested, but most of them won't even accept proposals unless it comes through an agent. Where do I find them?!

pls
Site Admin

Re: How do I find an Agent?

Postby pls » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 pm

You could start here: http://querytracker.net/index.php.

Also, use Google search by typing in your genre name and "literary agent" - as "young adult literary agent".

However, unless you have a finished novel manuscript, or a complete non-fiction proposal, don't bother. Finish your work-in-progress, polish it, let your beta reader(s) or literary critique group go over it, and THEN send it out.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 am

i have several good agent listings for various parts of the world... email me when you're ready [see below] and i'll be glad to pass them on...

however, since all you've done is complete your first draft [though that's a major milestone you can pat yourself on the back for having passed], as paul noted, you're a very long way from being ready to query agents... and some of them may have changed agencies, gone out of business, changed their specialties, etc., by the time you've done the many edits and revisions it takes to get to where you have a polished ms to submit...

congrats on getting to that first milestone, though... love and hugs, maia
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 am

I agree with Paul and Maia. Finishing a first draft is a terrific accomplishment, but it's only a first big step. Your job now is to revise, edit, and polish that manuscript until it's ready for an agent. Then you can research agents, write a terrific query letter, and begin the querying process. And remember: if you're lucky enough to get a request for a partial or a full, you must be ready to send your manuscript the very same day, so it has to be ready.

Good luck!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

FBaron
Corporal

Postby FBaron » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 am

A few hours spent at AgentQuery could be very useful.

Return to Tips and Advice