Use quotation marks and ellipsis

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Miss Watson
Private E-1

Use quotation marks and ellipsis

Postby Miss Watson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:41 am

Hi!
I've been doing a research about the english punctuation, and according to the grammar, it's correct to use these in some cases.
But, while I was reviewing dialogues, I noticed I used ellipsis a couple of times (not too much, but more than 5 along all the book).
I was wondering if to use ellipsis (in a adult fiction) won't seem a poor writing.
What do you think? Do you like this resource in a book?
__
Another resource I used but I'm not sure if pleasure me, is to quoting others within a quote
Example:
'I haven't spoken to Peter for months,' Dianne said.'The last time I spoke to him he said, "I'm going to Bahrain and won't be back for about three years", I've heard nothing since then'.
What do you guys think about this? Would you like to see this in a book, or I must get rid of it?

Please, share your honest opinion about it! It's very important to me. Thank you.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Use quotation marks and ellipsis

Postby ostarella » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:15 am

Nothing wrong with using ellipsis. You can over-do it, just like you can over-do anything in writing, but that's part of the learning process. It's very effective in dialog - not used so much in narrative.

Personally, not at all fond of dialog within dialog - just gets too complicated. I'd have the speaker paraphrase unless there's some important reason for the third person's dialog to be exactly quoted. So: "The last time I spoke to him, he said he was going to Bahrain and would be gone three years; I've heard nothing since then."

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:42 am

[quote="Miss Watson"]Hi!
I've been doing a research about the english punctuation, and according to the grammar, it's correct to use these in some cases.
But, while I was reviewing dialogues, I noticed I used ellipsis a couple of times (not too much, but more than 5 along all the book).
I was wondering if to use ellipsis (in a adult fiction) won't seem a poor writing.
What do you think? Do you like this resource in a book?
__
Another resource I used but I'm not sure if pleasure me, is to quoting others within a quote
Example:
'I haven't spoken to Peter for months,' Dianne said.'The last time I spoke to him he said, "I'm going to Bahrain and won't be back for about three years", I've heard nothing since then'.
What do you guys think about this? Would you like to see this in a book, or I must get rid of it?

Please, share your honest opinion about it! It's very important to me. Thank you.[/quote]

I would rewrite it to avoid the problem of quoting quotes within quotes.
And if you are omitting part of a quote then technically you need the ellipsis to show that the quote is not an complete quote.

As to ellipsis I would only use it to show that I had deleted text from a citation I quoted for reference.
I would not fix narration to indicate words were missing especially in dialogue.
Some writers may use them to indicate a pause in dialogue. Scripts will insert 'BEAT' to make it clear there is a pause.
For a novel I would let the context guide me. For a textbook you need to use them no matter what.

Miss Watson
Private E-1

Postby Miss Watson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks plughmann and ostarella!
I appreciate your inputs!
I'll rewrite all quotes within a quote. I really don't wanna something confused.

As to ellipsis, I used to indicate pauses in dialogue, especially when the characters are remembering something or they are not sure if they want to say it because there's a bit of drama in the dialogue. But I'll try to modify some parts.
Thanks!

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi, Miss Watson. :) Yeah, I would cut the quotes within quotes. Most people don't talk that way. I generally use an ellipsis at the end of a passage of dialogue to show the speaker's voice trailing off, but it can certainly be used in the middle of a dialogue to indicate hesitancy, etc. You just don't want to use it too often, or it becomes a mannerism.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:06 pm

[quote="Miss Watson"]Thanks plughmann and ostarella!
I appreciate your inputs!
I'll rewrite all quotes within a quote. I really don't wanna something confused.

As to ellipsis, I used to indicate pauses in dialogue, especially when the characters are remembering something or they are not sure if they want to say it because there's a bit of drama in the dialogue. But I'll try to modify some parts.
Thanks![/quote]

You are welcome. I am not sure what the standard is, if any, to show a pause in speaking when in a novel. In a script they have a convention to show it.

Googling I found this, not that I accept Harbrace as authoritative:
The Harbrace College Handbook says of the Ellipsis: 'Ellipsis points ... mark a reflective pause or hesitation'.
Although in this example, they show what I left out wrt other uses, in the quote.

Other sites have a number of ways they do it. One copywriter site says to use an em dash, which is my preference.

In the end, the editor at your publisher will decide based on their style book. I wonder what Chicago and AP say about it.
Of course if you self publish then you can do anything you like.

Miss Watson
Private E-1

Postby Miss Watson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:21 am

Hi, plughmann!
I've answered you before, but, for some reason, the post went into the wormhole :/
'Ellipsis points ... mark a reflective pause or hesitation" It's exactly what I need :)
I'll use ellipsis, but I'll hire someone (she works with The Chicago manual of style) to revise!
Thank you

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 am

[quote="Miss Watson"]Hi, plughmann!
I've answered you before, but, for some reason, the post went into the wormhole :/
'Ellipsis points ... mark a reflective pause or hesitation" It's exactly what I need :)
I'll use ellipsis, but I'll hire someone (she works with The Chicago manual of style) to revise!
Thank you[/quote]

You are welcome.

Forget Chicago style or AP or any others unless your publisher demands that format.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 am

Return to Tips and Advice