[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your Approach to Writing : Tips and Advice • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your Approach to Writing

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Your Approach to Writing

Postby ostarella » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:16 pm

[quote="plughmann"][quote="ostarella"]
....I ***don't*** write *whatever comes into my head* ; and then do massive editing at the end - I edit/revise/rewrite as I go, and also making sure each additional piece fits with the previous piece. When I come to a "fork in the road", I consider which route seems to have the most potential and that's the way I go. [/quote]

So would you say that basically you plan incrementally as you go instead of planning in advance.
Which is equivalent to plan a little , write a little, edit a little, repeat no rinsing or lathering, until you are finished?
As opposed to plan a lot , write a lot, edit a lot and finish.[/quote]

If by incrementally you mean the next 3-4 sentences, then the answer would be "sometimes". Beyond that, I would say I have ideas that may or may not happen. It depends on what happens before I get there.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="plughmann"][quote="ostarella"]
....I ***don't*** write *whatever comes into my head* ; and then do massive editing at the end - I edit/revise/rewrite as I go, and also making sure each additional piece fits with the previous piece. When I come to a "fork in the road", I consider which route seems to have the most potential and that's the way I go. [/quote]

So would you say that basically you plan incrementally as you go instead of planning in advance.
Which is equivalent to plan a little , write a little, edit a little, repeat no rinsing or lathering, until you are finished?
As opposed to plan a lot , write a lot, edit a lot and finish.[/quote]

If by incrementally you mean the next 3-4 sentences, then the answer would be "sometimes". Beyond that, I would say I have ideas that may or may not happen. It depends on what happens before I get there.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. Is that what most novelists do? Or does it take a lot of experience to make that work?

How do you keep from getting into dead ends where you have to go back and try again?
Or do you just throw the recent mistakes as soon as you realise the latest part you wrote wont fit well and back up a bit and start over?

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm beginning to wonder about y'all. :|
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 pm

[quote="Plaidman"][quote="wdarcy"](sometimes, through DID, they are the same person).[/quote]

DID? :?

Sorry, I just now saw your question. DID stands for Dissociative Identity Disorder. It's the current term for what used to be called Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). Different label, same symptoms.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 pm

[quote="plughmann"][quote="ostarella"]
If by incrementally you mean the next 3-4 sentences, then the answer would be "sometimes". Beyond that, I would say I have ideas that may or may not happen. It depends on what happens before I get there.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. Is that what most novelists do? Or does it take a lot of experience to make that work?

How do you keep from getting into dead ends where you have to go back and try again?
Or do you just throw the recent mistakes as soon as you realise the latest part you wrote wont fit well and back up a bit and start over?[/quote]

It doesn't take any experience - I've done that since grade school when I wrote my first story. And dead ends don't happen very often - it usually doesn't take more than a paragraph or two to realize if it's going to work or not. But then again, part of the fun/challenge in writing is getting over the fence at the end of that dead end. Nine times out of ten it's there, just waiting for one to grab hold and climb.

Note to updog - ditto.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:28 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="plughmann"][quote="ostarella"]

Or do you just throw the recent mistakes as soon as you realise the latest part you wrote wont fit well and back up a bit and start over?[/quote]

It doesn't take any experience - I've done that since grade school when I wrote my first story. And dead ends don't happen very often - it usually doesn't take more than a paragraph or two to realize if it's going to work or not. But then again, part of the fun/challenge in writing is getting over the fence at the end of that dead end. Nine times out of ten it's there, just waiting for one to grab hold and climb.

Note to updog - ditto.[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that.

I am encouraged to hear that we don't need any experience and only a grade school education.
But I would still hope that with experience we would continually improve and keep getting better.

How long do you think it would take an average person to get to the point they could sell their novel to a publisher?

Plaidman
Private E-1

Postby Plaidman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:33 pm

[quote="plughmann"]Wow.

A lot of advice in that discussion.

I need to read it all again and try to get my head around all of that.[/quote]

Yeah. I've had to review a time or two myself.

Plaidman
Private E-1

Postby Plaidman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm

[quote="updog"]I'm beginning to wonder about y'all. :|[/quote]

:lol: I'v been wondering about me for years!

Plaidman
Private E-1

Postby Plaidman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 pm

[quote="wdarcy"][quote="Plaidman"][quote="wdarcy"](sometimes, through DID, they are the same person).[/quote]

DID? :?

Sorry, I just now saw your question. DID stands for Dissociative Identity Disorder. It's the current term for what used to be called Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). Different label, same symptoms.

--Warren[/quote]

Okay. Now I understand. Thank you!

Harold Saxon
Private E-1

Postby Harold Saxon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:16 am

I'm a pantser/organic writer.

That's the way I write. I'm new to it. At this point, I can't outline because I don't know what the ending is, how the story goes. The story occurs to me as I write, and I have learned that the characters do speak to you. I found it funny when I heard writers say that, but it's True! :) Several people who have read it, have told me that it looks like a deep outline. It probably is, but it's not written as an outline. Then it gets fattened up as the scenes build. I call it the concept, skeleton; where I add 'meat' to the bones.

It depends on the person. My draft ignores tenses and POVs.It's what naturally comes when writing. Usually in 3rd present with some mixed tenses and POV. The revision changes it to past.

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Advice