9 practical tips from WD how many do you agree with ?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Pat James
Private E-2

Re: 9 practical tips from WD how many do you agree with ?

Postby Pat James » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:33 pm

[quote="Oldtimer"]You amaze me, Pat James.
In your first post, just a week ago, you wrote "I am new at writing and hope to write a novel during nano. Hope to meet new friends here and learn some tips to help write".
60 posts later you are confident enough to offer views on the best way of teaching writing.
Boy, you learn quickly.[/quote]
===

Yep.
Learned that skill at the uni getting my PhD.
I could have mastered almost any subject if I holed up in the library for a few weeks.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:25 pm

You say that it should never happen, but it can and it does. If you have ever written a novel you will know that you can't always help where your characters or story will take you. Just ask any bestselling author who outlines if they always stick to their outlines. I've never met an author that has stuck to their outline from start to finish. What many will do and what I did when I used an outline is update the outline as the story goes in a different direction. And if you think authors never throw scenes or whole chapters away if they outline then you are mistaken....again.

If you really want to know about writing fiction and the authors that outline, you should try going to a conference. So much of the information you have posted is false. Because of dumb luck and being in the right place at the right time I have the opportunity to talk to hundreds of authors via email, phone, or directly at ThrillerFest. So much knowledge directly from the source. It's a great thing.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]I've never met an author that has stuck to their outline from start to finish. What many will do and what I did when I used an outline is update the outline as the story goes in a different direction. And if you think authors never throw scenes or whole chapters away if they outline then you are mistaken....again.[/quote]

Very true. I've talked to a lot of authors who outline, and many of them state that the finished piece is a totally different story from their original outline.

Pat James
Private E-2

Postby Pat James » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]You say that it should never happen, but it can and it does. If you have ever written a novel you will know that you can't always help where your characters or story will take you. Just ask any bestselling author who outlines if they always stick to their outlines. I've never met an author that has stuck to their outline from start to finish. What many will do and what I did when I used an outline is update the outline as the story goes in a different direction. And if you think authors never throw scenes or whole chapters away if they outline then you are mistaken....again.

If you really want to know about writing fiction and the authors that outline, you should try going to a conference. So much of the information you have posted is false. Because of dumb luck and being in the right place at the right time I have the opportunity to talk to hundreds of authors via email, phone, or directly at ThrillerFest. So much knowledge directly from the source. It's a great thing.[/quote]
======

Never said they don't do that.

What I do say is that they do less of it.
And by editing at the end they save throwing that work away too.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:07 am

Once I read teh details under each Item on teh list, I don't completely agree with any of them.

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice