How to write plots and queiry letters? Help please.

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Hunnybee
Private E-1

How to write plots and queiry letters? Help please.

Postby Hunnybee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 am

Hello, I am new to the forum and I have a couple questions

1) Could someone point me in the right direction to formats for plot writing?
I have a ton of ideas for stories and have seen people interested in buying plots. I do not know the proper way to put them down.

2) What exactly is a queiry letter and how does one write them?

Thank you

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: How to write plots and queiry letters? Help please.

Postby ostarella » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 am

[quote="Hunnybee"]
I have a ton of ideas for stories and have seen people interested in buying plots. I do not know the proper way to put them down.[/quote]

----- Can you give some details as to where you have seen people wanting to buy plots - because I've never heard of this, and quite frankly, it sounds like some sort of scam. I know for sure I wouldn't want to read anything from an author who had to resort to buying their story ideas.

[quote="Hunnybee"]
2) What exactly is a queiry letter and how does one write them?[/quote]

----- A query letter is how you entice an agent to accept your story for representation, or to ask a publisher to publish your story. If you google it, you'll find tons of advice on how to write them, and when you're ready, you can also it on the forum for critique.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 am

I can honestly say I'm not interested in buying (or, really, in selling) plots.

As for how to write queries, WD has some good articles on that. I'd also recommend reading through a blog called "Query Shark." Written by a successful agent, she knows of what she speaks. She basically critiques queries there.

http://queryshark.blogspot.com/
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Hunnybee
Private E-1

Postby Hunnybee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Thank you both Osterella and rob-lost for the valuable information. As to where I found those interested in buying plots. I have seen several people on upworks looking for plot writers several different times.
I understand not being interested in buying or selling plots or reading the work of one who has. On the same hand I thought well I'm having a bit of a time getting going finacially and thought this might help me out a little.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:10 pm

[quote="Hunnybee"]Thank you both Osterella and rob-lost for the valuable information. As to where I found those interested in buying plots. I have seen several people on upworks looking for plot writers several different times.
I understand not being interested in buying or selling plots or reading the work of one who has. On the same hand I thought well I'm having a bit of a time getting going finacially and thought this might help me out a little.[/quote]

I suppose it would depend on how much plot detail they'd want, whether it would be worth the effort. I don't know of any specific format one would use - again, that would probably depend on who was "hiring" you for the project. I've never heard of such a thing, but I suppose in this day and age where nobody seems to want to do their own work, it's not surprising. I'd just make sure I wasn't selling a plot that you'd want to use yourself one day.

Hunnybee
Private E-1

Postby Hunnybee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 am

Hello Ostarella, I sincerelly agree! I have already been tossing various plots in my head and asking myself is this something I would want to write. I took rob-lost's suggestion and checked out Queryshark, wow!! That site is a real eye opener.

Pat James
Private E-2

Postby Pat James » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:46 pm

[quote="Hunnybee"]Hello, I am new to the forum and I have a couple questions

I have a ton of ideas for stories and have seen people interested in buying plots. I do not know the proper way to put them down.

2) What exactly is a queiry letter and how does one write them?

Thank you[/quote]

A query letter is a sales document for your story or mss.
WD has tips on them on this website and also sells books with more detailed information and examples.
Writers Market is a good summary of the business aspects of writing including queries.

There are a number of formats for plots from the ancient 3 act structure plus modern variations.
You can find templates for creating plots online, which list the types of events and the sequence they happen.

I have never heard of people buying plots. That sounds like a scam, or at best something that is not beneficial to you.
Now if people actually do buy plots then you should ask them for a sample format.
If you have a ton of them why not write a book with a lot of plots for others to use for their writing.

Hunnybee
Private E-1

Postby Hunnybee » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Hello Pat and thank you so much for the advice. I have to say I never considered a book of plots, an excellent suggestion. One I might just be willing to tackle. I have found that a lot of the offers and post for work seem to be mill type, articles, short stories and wanting work for way less that its worth.

Pat James
Private E-2

Postby Pat James » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:44 pm

[quote="Hunnybee"]Hello Pat and thank you so much for the advice. I have to say I never considered a book of plots, an excellent suggestion. One I might just be willing to tackle. I have found that a lot of the offers and post for work seem to be mill type, articles, short stories and wanting work for way less that its worth.[/quote]
======

There are books of writing prompts which are mostly useless.

A book with actual plots might sell well if it provides something useful for a writer to enhance and adapt to their story.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:21 am

I agree. I have never seen the point of writing prompts. Why tell someone else's story when you could be writing your own? Then again, I'm not a big fan of writing exercises in general. But that's just me. Others may find them helpful.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Next

Return to Tips and Advice