To work or not to work

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
MayaS
Private E-1

To work or not to work

Postby MayaS » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:27 am

Fellow writers, I need advice!

For the past 4 years I've been a freelance copywriter and doing ok financially while also doing good work with my book.

Lately, I feel a bit bored. All I do every single day is sit in front of a computer, writing. I do enjoy this, obviously, but I feel that the lack of dynamics is hurting my inspiration and story-telling abilities.

On top of that, I and my husband recently encountered some financial challenges and while we do ok with me freelancing, we could do way better if I go out there and get a job.

So, do I get a job, do I not get a job? I have bachelors in Management and such experience that the jobs that are a good fit for me involve a lot of travel and taking on a lot of responsibilities. I would enjoy the change, but I'm also afraid this will leave me with no time to write. Or maybe I'll write less often but better?

I'm so confused, please, help! :(

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: To work or not to work

Postby ostarella » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:47 am

Well, obviously no one can tell you whether to change jobs or not, but as to finding time to write, bear in mind that one doesn't need to have a large block of time to write productively. Fifteen minutes when you get up; lunch break; half hour before bed. I've even known people who use voice recorders on their commutes (hopefully paying more attention to their driving than their story-telling!).

Too few people recognize that they truly are in charge of how they spend their time. Sure, work schedules are pretty well set - but that still leaves anywhere from 14-16 hours each day to schedule as we choose, plus weekends and holidays. Budget your time the same as you do your finances - you can spend money on a new car or you can spend money on paying down the mortgage.

I always recommend a time diary - every day, you jot down what you do and how much time you spend doing it, and when. (You can factor in the probable work schedule.) It's amazing how much time is spent on multiple errands/chores that could have been combined, or just doing things that didn't really need doing.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:03 pm

[quote="MayaS"]Fellow writers, I need advice!

For the past 4 years I've been a freelance copywriter and doing ok financially while also doing good work with my book.

Lately, I feel a bit bored. All I do every single day is sit in front of a computer, writing. I do enjoy this, obviously, but I feel that the lack of dynamics is hurting my inspiration and story-telling abilities.

On top of that, I and my husband recently encountered some financial challenges and while we do ok with me freelancing, we could do way better if I go out there and get a job.

So, do I get a job, do I not get a job? I have bachelors in Management and such experience that the jobs that are a good fit for me involve a lot of travel and taking on a lot of responsibilities. I would enjoy the change, but I'm also afraid this will leave me with no time to write. Or maybe I'll write less often but better?

I'm so confused, please, help! :([/quote]
=========

copywriting usually pays very well

you do need a balanced life
but copywriting should not sap your creativity for telling a story

how why did you have financial challenges
is a job the only solution
would it be temporary or permanent

responsiblity is not a real problem
travel will certainly impact a marriage a lot

get a government job
no stress
regular hours
you can write in the evenings with a guaranteed paycheck that is above average

writing should not be driving your decisions
focus on the marriage and your financial problems

MayaS
Private E-1

Postby MayaS » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Hmm, you both make good points.

@mike The financial problems have actually been going on for a while and we kept thinking it's temporary, but we just discussed things and it turns out we keep sinking. So...

You're right that my marriage is a top priority though. Because the hubby is so supportive, I tend to forget that I simply must consider how he's going to feel long term.

Copywriting is not bad, but when you're not a native speaker (I only write in English), it's not that well paid. Where you're born matters... :?

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:06 am

Here's what I read:

You have financial worries.
You like what you do, but you don't much like your job.
You could be doing better.

I'm not you. I don't have the same priorities. In your position, I can and have moved on to a new position.

BUT! Yes, jobs may pay better, but are they available? I ran into that trap coming out of The Navy. I had worked with nuclear power in The Navy. In the civilian job market, those kinds of jobs pay quite well... what few of those jobs that there are to have. I'd done 7 years in the US Navy, but I left and was competing for jobs with nuclear engineers and fellow sailors who'd done their full 20 years. I was out.

Your situation will be different. But my example highlights a very important point: Know the market. A better paying writing job that won't hire you is no job at all.

In your position, I'd use trial balloons. Basically, put your resume out there, wherever jobs like that are listed. There's a risk your current employer might see that and let you go sooner rather than lose you later. But if you don't get any response, you know that you're missing something. And you can work on that without being unemployed.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Return to Tips and Advice