Why are BOOK RATINGS lower on Goodreads than Amazon?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Why are BOOK RATINGS lower on Goodreads than Amazon?

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I've read that book ratings for the same book tend to be LOWER on Goodreads as compared to Amazon. This morning, I did a quick check of the last 10 books I read/rated and this statement seems to be consistently true from what I can see. Does anyone know WHY Goodreads users tend to give lower ratings than Amazon users? My initial thought was that perhaps Amazon ratings have many more users who received free ARC or ebooks and they are more likely to give higher ratings, but I don't think that is a fair statement b/c lots of authors (including me) give free books to Goodread users through their book give-away contests. What do you folks think?
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Re: Why are BOOK RATINGS lower on Goodreads than Amazon?

Postby mike m. » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:07 pm

[quote="mikeyboy_esq"]I've read that book ratings for the same book tend to be LOWER on Goodreads as compared to Amazon. This morning, I did a quick check of the last 10 books I read/rated and this statement seems to be consistently true from what I can see. Does anyone know WHY Goodreads users tend to give lower ratings than Amazon users? My initial thought was that perhaps Amazon ratings have many more users who received free ARC or ebooks and they are more likely to give higher ratings, but I don't think that is a fair statement b/c lots of authors (including me) give free books to Goodread users through their book give-away contests. What do you folks think?[/quote]
=====

interesting

maybe goodreads readers are serious readers and amazon readers are just fun
so it may be the writing versus the story being evaluated

amazon imho does tend to get too many fake reviews from family and friends
as well as freebies influencing reviewers

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Maybe it's simple market dynamics.

Amazon actively markets itself to readers. Maybe Goodreads is too focused on writers.

I don't know that. Just a thought.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 pm

I think the fact that Goodreads' giveaways are not really giveaways - they are, as you said, contests. If you "win", you get the free book - but you better give a review or you're off their list. So the pool of reviewers is much, much smaller than Amazon's, and no, they probably aren't as easy to please because it's harder for them to get the book. You make people "work" to get something, it better be darn good.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Ostarella,
I could be wrong, but I don't think Goodreads' users lose eligibility to enter book give-away contests if they fail to leave reviews after winning a book. As far as I'm aware, they are simply encouraged to give reviews, but not required. Thus far, I have given away about 15 books through the Goodreads' give-away contests and have probably only received 3 or 4 reviews. You made a good point about Goodreads being a much smaller pool for potential reviewers than Amazon and that is probably why many books have more Amazon reviews than Goodreads reviews (at least that is true with my books).

As far as whether more writers or readers use Amazon vs. Goodreads, I'm not sure about that. I think of both as being popular with readers.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:36 am

I dont check reviews on amazon a lot of them are paid or corrupted (give aways) ur better off wih any other site imo

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm

[quote="mikeyboy_esq"]Ostarella,
I could be wrong, but I don't think Goodreads' users lose eligibility to enter book give-away contests if they fail to leave reviews after winning a book. As far as I'm aware, they are simply encouraged to give reviews, but not required. Thus far, I have given away about 15 books through the Goodreads' give-away contests and have probably only received 3 or 4 reviews. You made a good point about Goodreads being a much smaller pool for potential reviewers than Amazon and that is probably why many books have more Amazon reviews than Goodreads reviews (at least that is true with my books).

As far as whether more writers or readers use Amazon vs. Goodreads, I'm not sure about that. I think of both as being popular with readers.[/quote]
=======

i would ask who sells more books

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:04 pm

FYI: Someone on another forum gave a helpful response that I think answers my question. That person explained that Goodreads uses a different rating system. In other words, on Goodreads a 1-star means "did not like it," 2-stars means "it was okay," 3-stars means "liked it," 4-stars means "really liked it," and 5-stars means "it was amazing). So if I read a book that I thought was okay, I'd probably give that a 3-star review on Amazon's rating system, but only a 2-star on Goodreads' rating system. That explanation may account for the lower avg. ratings on Goodreads.

Honestly, I wish Goodreads used the same rating system as Amazon so that folks could easily compare the average ratings of the same book on both sights.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:09 pm

That definitely makes sense then. And yeah, it would be nice if sites that are known for reviews would use the same system. Prevent a lot of confusion. :roll:

Return to Tips and Advice