Are WRITERS' CONFERENCES worth-while?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Are WRITERS' CONFERENCES worth-while?

Postby ostarella » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:56 pm

And your handy excuse is that you're researching. Come back and tell us how to do it when you've actually written, published and been paid for FICTION. Until then, you're just pretending to be superior.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:26 pm

[quote="ostarella"]And your handy excuse is that you're researching. Come back and tell us how to do it when you've actually written, published and been paid for FICTION. Until then, you're just pretending to be superior.[/quote]
========

that is what planners do

otoh you have written nothing that is worth anything

i AM superior and at least i have credentials to prove i actually got paid and published in real national publications
any wannabee can start a web site and post crapola and claim they got 'published'
but you dont fool anyone with that approach

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:43 pm

[quote="mike m."]
that is what planners do [/quote]

Yeah, but at some point they actually do write. Let us know when you've got some fiction out there, okay?

[quote="mike m."]otoh you have written nothing that is worth anything [/quote]

And you have? Fiction? Let's see it then.

[quote="mike m."]i AM superior and at least i have credentials to prove i actually got paid and published in real national publications
any wannabee can start a web site and post crapola and claim they got 'published'
but you dont fool anyone with that approach[/quote]

Sigh. You really are a broken record. You haven't published or been paid for fiction. FICTION. I put my stuff on my website - I never laid claim to that being "published". I have never said I was published. NEVER. I really think you must have a massive reading comprehension problem.

Just as a matter of curiosity, how about listing those credentials of yours? I'd like to see if your nonfiction is as bombastic as your posts here.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:46 am

[quote="ostarella"][quote="mike m."]
that is what planners do [/quote]

Yeah, but at some point they actually do write. Let us know when you've got some fiction out there, okay?

[quote="mike m."]otoh you have written nothing that is worth anything [/quote]

And you have? Fiction? Let's see it then.

[quote="mike m."]i AM superior and at least i have credentials to prove i actually got paid and published in real national publications
but you dont fool anyone with that approach[/quote]

Sigh. You really are a broken record. You haven't published or been paid for fiction. FICTION. I put my stuff on my website - I never laid claim to that being "published". I have never said I was published. NEVER. I really think you must have a massive reading comprehension problem.

Just as a matter of curiosity, how about listing those credentials of yours? I'd like to see if your nonfiction is as bombastic as your posts here.[/quote]

===========

i have listed my credentials
you got nothing but hot air

i will write on my schedule with my process which includes planning and organising first
you will never have anything published in the real world like i have had done

fiction is irrelevant
it is the same to write fiction as non fiction (The remainder of this post was deleted by pls as it violates a direct order by an administrator, although it clearly demonstrates why the order was issued in the first place. At least we're making progress here -pls.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:07 am

[quote="mike m."]i have listed my credentials[/quote]

Can you at least post the link to the post where you listed your credentials then? Because all I recall seeing are your statements that you wrote for various publications.

[quote="mike m."]i will write on my schedule with my process which includes planning and organising first
you will never have anything published in the real world like i have had done[/quote]

Uh huh. And how long have you been planning and organizing? That also infers that you have something to plan and organize, so how about a quick synopsis?

As to publishing, please let me know where you got your crystal ball. As far as that goes, you haven't published any FICTION, so we're pretty much in the same boat there. At least I have written a lot of FICTION, which you have not.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:24 am

[quote="ostarella"][quote="mike m."]i have listed my credentials[/quote]

Can you at least post the link to the post where you listed your credentials then? Because all I recall seeing are your statements that you wrote for various publications.

[quote="mike m."]i will write on my schedule with my process which includes planning and organising first
you will never have anything published in the real world like i have had done[/quote]

Uh huh. And how long have you been planning and organizing? That also infers that you have something to plan and organize, so how about a quick synopsis?

As to publishing, please let me know where you got your crystal ball. As far as that goes, you haven't published any FICTION, so we're pretty much in the same boat there. At least I have written a lot of FICTION, which you have not.[/quote]
======

for someone who has done nothing
never published
not paid to be published
you have a hang up on thinking fiction is relevant to anything

writing is writing whether fiction or non fiction
poetry is something else

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm

==writing is writing whether fiction or non fiction==
See, now you're lying, and everyone can see this.

Non-fiction is more formal than fiction. Fiction doesn't even require real words. JRR Tolkein invented a language just for his Middle Earth works.

Editors and publishers have significantly different expectations of nonfiction versus fiction. So much so that not many do both, and those that do keep them as separate divisions.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:07 pm

[quote="mike m."]
never published
not paid to be published

poetry is something else[/quote]

So - no link to the actual list of your credentials and no synopsis or even a brief description of the fiction you're organizing and planning.

Nothing to see here, folks, move along...

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:20 pm

[quote="robjvargas"]==writing is writing whether fiction or non fiction==
See, now you're lying, and everyone can see this.

Non-fiction is more formal than fiction. Fiction doesn't even require real words. JRR Tolkein invented a language just for his Middle Earth works.

Editors and publishers have significantly different expectations of nonfiction versus fiction. So much so that not many do both, and those that do keep them as separate divisions.[/quote]
=========

you are so confused
and
quibble over details that have no significance

there are minor differences but the basic process of writing is the same
just as there are minor differences because of the subject and audience

what editors expect is just a constraint
one of many
that happens with all writing and any topic

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:23 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="mike m."]
never published
not paid to be published

poetry is something else[/quote]

So - no link to the actual list of your credentials and no synopsis or even a brief description of the fiction you're organizing and planning.

Nothing to see here, folks, move along...[/quote]

============

link to what
i dont have a website with everything i wrote so i can show it to idiots who demand it

much of what i wrote was privately published
eg govt documents
and business documents

but as i said before
i have also been PAID and PUBLISHED by dozens of national publications
from WRITERS DIGEST to the WASHPOST and many others

you on the other hand have ZERO SQUAT BUBKES RIEN NADA ZILCH on your writing/publishing resume

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Advice