how did you learn to write

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
mike m.
Master Sergeant

how did you learn to write

Postby mike m. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:36 pm

did you learn to write in school?

what method did they teach you?

did you learn on your own ?
what did you discover that worked for you ?

if you had to teach a class of noobs how to write
what would you tell them to do - pls give a list of bullet points for the sales brochure for your class
to summarise what they would learn to DO and HOW they would do it

my schools: elhi through uni only taught grammar
none of them ever taught HOW to write
once a teacher discussed outlining but it was useless as it was just how to number an outline using I , IA , IA1 , IA1a and then she got stuck

the uni used the socratic method
they told us to write
so we wrote
they corrected grammar
then we were told to write again
and so on repeating this vicious cycle

today elhi has a formula approach that helps students write a 5 graf essay
better than nothing

the washpost had an article on teaching writing
basically said the way we teach it is wrong
just writing, as in class with no time to plan or edit, is all wrong
they say we need to learn the levels of editing and take a document through all of them getting feedback as the student progresses with it

that would require planning as the first level of edit would be the development edit after planning the audience and other constraints of the document

is there any viable alternative to the planning organising and going through all the levels of editing from start to finish ?

summary of editing and levels can be found here
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=263862&p=772403&hilit=5+levels+of+editing#p772404
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=263862&p=772403&hilit=5+levels+of+editing#p772405

summary of the 3x5 method used in schools
http://seereports.blogspot.com/2010/04/3x5-essay-about-3x5-essay.html

pls
Site Admin

Re: how did you learn to write

Postby pls » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:16 pm

You never post anything about writing fiction, mike, which is what's of interest to about 90 of us here.

I learned to write fiction in 2nd grade. I wrote a science fiction story that emulated stories that I had read.

That's why I urge would-be fiction writers to read at least 100 examples of the genre they hope to write successfully in.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:31 pm

[quote="pls"]I learned to write fiction in 2nd grade. I wrote a science fiction story that emulated stories that I had read.

That's why I urge would-be fiction writers to read at least 100 examples of the genre they hope to write successfully in.[/quote]

Similarly, I wrote my first piece of fiction in grade school. Our teacher used that to help us with grammar and spelling - much more fun that way. :D In high school, our English teacher had a book of random photos of people, and we had to pick one each week and write a story about it.

Definitely agree about the reading, too. I can remember how proud I was to get my first library card, and what a treat it was to trek to the library every week for new books to read. A love of reading - can't imagine writing without that.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm

[quote="pls"]You never post anything about writing fiction, mike, which is what's of interest to about 90 of us here.

I learned to write fiction in 2nd grade. I wrote a science fiction story that emulated stories that I had read.

That's why I urge would-be fiction writers to read at least 100 examples of the genre they hope to write successfully in.[/quote]
=====

your response is totally off topic

this thread was about learning to write

i am glad you wrote something in the 2nd grade
i doubt that would be at all useful to teach a class of folks wanting to learn how to write

reading a genre is certainly good
but it wont teach you to write

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:07 pm

[quote="mike m."]
but it wont teach you to write[/quote]

It will teach you more than just reading about writing. Of course, that's the generic "you".

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="mike m."]
but it wont teach you to write[/quote]

It will teach you more than just reading about writing. Of course, that's the generic "you".[/quote]
=======

once again you are totally wrong

you can learn so much more by reading about writing than trying to deduce andor infer it from reading things that were written

you can read all the sheet music you want
but you wont learn how to write music
if you want to learn to write it you need to read the book about writing music not the music itself

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm

[quote="mike m."]
if you want to learn to write it you need to read the book about writing music not the music itself[/quote]

http://screenertv.com/celebs/lionel-richie-dave-grohl-the-beatles-13-artists-who-cant-read-music-and-why-thats-okay/

So, wrong again, william. They neither learned to read or write music - but were slightly more than a little successful. They didn't waste time reading ABOUT anything; they listened to other musicians and then just went out and did it. Amazing, huh?

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:06 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="mike m."]
if you want to learn to write it you need to read the book about writing music not the music itself[/quote]

http://screenertv.com/celebs/lionel-richie-dave-grohl-the-beatles-13-artists-who-cant-read-music-and-why-thats-okay/

So, wrong again, william. They neither learned to read or write music - but were slightly more than a little successful. They didn't waste time reading ABOUT anything; they listened to other musicians and then just went out and did it. Amazing, huh?[/quote]
======

rotflmao

you are the gift that keeps on giving

you are so illogical
your comment is totally erroneous

you dont have to read music to make music
which is what my OP said

but you have to know how to make music to make it

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:33 am

I know you don't pay attention to what others post, but do you even pay attention to what YOU post?

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 am

[quote="ostarella"]I know you don't pay attention to what others post, but do you even pay attention to what YOU post?[/quote]
=====

i did stop paying any attention to you

Next

Return to Tips and Advice