Short story idea

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
superwolly123
Private E-1

Short story idea

Postby superwolly123 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

Recently I have been getting into reading short stories after watching films adapted from Stephen King short stories. I have been thinking about attempting to write my own short story and would love to know if people think this idea is good or not.

It's a story set in Japan 30/40 years into the future, fame and popularity is even more of a necessity too more people than it is now. Each city/town in Japan has a big screen that each person in the town can easily see. The screen lights up a name of a person. The same name is used on each screen in each city or town. To get your name on the screens you have to become the most recogniseable and famous person in the country. The names only change once another person has exceeded your fame status.

Not only will your name be displayed on each screen to the whole country but as it is so rare to reach this level of fame, only 2-3 people have done it before, meaning whoever s name is on the screen will be remembered in the history books as one of the few people to achieve an almost everlasting fame.

As this is the highest level off fame and popularity achieveable in Japan, there are many people who will go to unorthodox and controversial lengths to increase their fame.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Short story idea

Postby ostarella » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 am

Well, it's an interesting idea, but, as with any idea, the value is in what you make of it in your writing. One thing missing from your description is what the purpose of the story would be. Are you thinking of a more literary fiction story, where, for example, you show a main character's musings on the phenomena; or a "morality" piece on the rush to claim that "15 minutes of fame"; or are you going for humor?

But I'd definitely say go ahead and write it. That's what writers do, and one can't learn or improve until the pen hits the paper. :)

superwolly123
Private E-1

Postby superwolly123 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Well thank you. I plan to spend more time trying to develop a story, but what I have written in my post is pretty much it so far. I hope to write about how in 30/40 years in a strange country like Japan, how desperate the normal people have become to achieve fame and how things like for e.g. Killing someone for fame would be horrific in these times but in my story it is pretty much brushed aside. People's morals are still the same but the value of fame isn't so it is almost acceptable to do awful things for fame. I plan to try and write about people working against each other to steal each other's level of popularity and use it as their own.

As I write more and think of new ideas I will have a better synopsis.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:37 pm

[quote="superwolly123"]Recently I have been getting into reading short stories after watching films adapted from Stephen King short stories. I have been thinking about attempting to write my own short story and would love to know if people think this idea is good or not.

It's a story set in Japan 30/40 years into the future, fame and popularity is even more of a necessity too more people than it is now. Each city/town in Japan has a big screen that each person in the town can easily see. The screen lights up a name of a person. The same name is used on each screen in each city or town. To get your name on the screens you have to become the most recogniseable and famous person in the country. The names only change once another person has exceeded your fame status.

Not only will your name be displayed on each screen to the whole country but as it is so rare to reach this level of fame, only 2-3 people have done it before, meaning whoever s name is on the screen will be remembered in the history books as one of the few people to achieve an almost everlasting fame.

As this is the highest level off fame and popularity achieveable in Japan, there are many people who will go to unorthodox and controversial lengths to increase their fame.[/quote]
========

if you can spare the time and want to do it then it is a good idea

MayaS
Private E-1

Postby MayaS » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm

I like it, but I don't think it's technically an 'idea' until you have an idea of what the main conflict would be, and conflicts are defined by characters. You have a great setting here, people desperate for fame, but what will happen to the set of characters in the story? What would be their conflicting desires, their mismatching goals, their moral stoppers?

An idea is a great start, but in writing, as with everything, it's the execution that matters, and to execute this one well you have to dig deeper.

Return to Tips and Advice